"Glevum" Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester by Balam
Gloucester Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 246 photos
Gloucester is located on the eastern bank of the River Severn some 114 miles from London and is the county town of Gloucestershire sheltered by the Cotswold’s in the east with the Forest of Dean and the Malvern Hills rising to the north and west it is a port and is linked to the Severn Estuary by the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal which runs from Gloucester's docks, The Canal allows much larger ships to reach the docks than would be possible on the River Severn due to the tide.
Gloucester was founded by the Romans as the municipality of Colonia Nervia Glevensium (Glevum) it was granted its first charter in 1155 by King Henry II giving the burgesses the same liberties as the citizens of London and Winchester, Subsequent charters were numerous and Gloucester developed into a Busy port with ships sailing up the River Severn from all over the known world.
The ports wharfs, warehouses and docks fell into disrepair but were renovated during the 1980s making it into a popular ‘open space’. Some of the warehouses now house the National Waterways Museum while others have been converted into residential apartments, shops, restaurants, bars and the Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum is located in the Custom House. Interestingly the port still houses the most inland RNLI lifeboat in the UK.
- Pros:Lots to do and see
- In a nutshell:A very under-rated city, that has loads to do and see
The house at 38 Southgate St (now a pub) was once the fine town house of Robert Raikes. it is a sixteenth century house... more travel advice
Gloucester Cathedral has some really fantastic Gargoyles, They look like they have crept down from their rooftop perches... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Gloucester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Glorious Gloucester"
- "Gloucester ~ historic inland port"
- "Gloucester: Jewel of the Cotswolds"
- "National Canal Museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gloucester
- Hotels in Gloucester
- Transportation in Gloucester
- Restaurants in Gloucester
- Shopping in Gloucester
- Warnings and Dangers in Gloucester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gloucester
- 17 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Gloucester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gloucester
Photos in GloucesterSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 91 reviews, 350 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 44 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhodes (Island) Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos