"Small Village, Great Castle" Goodrich by Balam
Goodrich Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 31 photos
Goodrich Castle stands on a rocky hill commanding the passage of the River Wye into the picturesque valley of Symonds Yat. We had a walk around the Castle before visiting Ross on Wye and Symonds Yat
The castle was begun in the late 11th century but the oldest part that exists today is the keep which dates from the mid 12th century.
King Richard the Lionheart granted Goodrich along with the earldom of Pembroke to the famous William Marshal, a great castle builder who may have initiated work on the inner ward.
Goodrich boasts some of the most complete sets of medieval domestic buildings surviving in any English castle.
Balam's Related Pages
Goodrich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Goodrich - in the County of Herefordshire"
- "A Great Castle"
- "Small Village, Great Castle"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goodrich
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (89)
Have you been to Goodrich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goodrich
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 94 reviews, 365 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 43 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos