"Not just Mother Shipton" Top 5 Page for this destination Knaresborough by Balam
Knaresborough Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 118 photos
Alyhough like many places the exact origins of the lovely little market town of Knaresborough are shrouded in mystery, but certainly extend back before the Norman Conquest and possibly even to Roman times.
The River Nidd flows around the outskirts,providing boating facilities and relaxing riverside walks or a nice place to sit and relax.
Like any old Medieval town is made up of numerous cobbled alleys and 'secret passages', all of which are great to explore.
For many years Knaresborough's Castle played an integral part in British history. Situated atop a large cliff, the ruined Castle commands a view of the River Nidd and Forest of Knaresborough.
Visitors can inspect the atmospheric two storey keep where the unfortunate King Richard II was imprisoned while on his way to Pontefract from Flint.
During the English Civil War Knaresborough was a Royalist stronghold and with the River Nidd on 3 sides and a 30ft (9m) wall on the other it was a dificult fortress for the Parlimentarians to capture and so was besiged with the Royalists only surrendering when supplies ran out and the Castle was slighted in 1648, Cromwell had a particular reason for demolishing it thoroughly so it would no longer provide a threat as his son was killed in a skirmish outside it's walls.
As well as having the oldest attraction, Knaresborough also lays a claim to having the Oldest chemist shop. This shop... more travel advice
For many years Knaresborough's Castle played an integral part in British history. Situated atop a large cliff, the... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Knaresborough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not just Mother Shipton"
- "On the way to Yorkshire Dales"
- "Beauty in the eye of the beholder"
- "Underrated Yorkshire destination"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Knaresborough
- Transportation in Knaresborough
- Restaurants in Knaresborough
- Warnings and Dangers in Knaresborough
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Knaresborough
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Knaresborough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Knaresborough
Photos in KnaresboroughSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 91 reviews, 350 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 44 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhodes (Island) Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos