"Talacharn" Top 5 Page for this destination Laugharne by Balam
Laugharne Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 101 photos
Laugharne lies on the estuary of the River Taf and is most famously known for being the home of the Welsh Poet Dylan Thomas from 1949 until his death in 1953 the town is thought to have been an inspiration for the fictional town of Llareggub in his radio play 'Under Milk Wood'.
A castle belonging to the Princes of South Wales known originally as the 'Castle of Abercorran' existed in Laugharne before the Norman Conquest of 1066. King Henry II of England visited it in 1172 and made peace with the Welsh Prince Rhys of Dynevor then through the marriage of Prince Rhys' daughter the castle was passed to Sir Guy de Brian,(Once Lord High Admiral of England) and when his daughter Elizabeth inherited the castle and married Owen Laugharne of St. Bride's and the Castle was renamed
The cockle industry was once a significant part of the Laugharne economy and the well established pickling firm Parsons also started in Laugharne.
- Pros:A lovely Little Village, Great walks
- Cons:Mostly closed down out of season
Nice shop in the square, filled with lots of things to buy from gifts to stuff for the home, there will be something... more travel advice
We went into Laugharne hoping to get something to eat on a Tuesday night at the begining of febuary, The town was like a... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Laugharne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Laugharne - the home of Dylan Thomas"
- "Dylan Thomas, without the traffic"
- "Under Milk Wood"
- "Dylan Thomas Land"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Laugharne
- Hotels in Laugharne
- Transportation in Laugharne
- Nightlife in Laugharne
- Restaurants in Laugharne
- Shopping in Laugharne
- Warnings and Dangers in Laugharne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Laugharne
- 8 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Laugharne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laugharne
Photos in LaugharneSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 94 reviews, 365 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos