"Manc" Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester by Balam
Manchester Travel Guide: 1,749 reviews and 4,047 photos
The original Manchester was an old town which has been inhabited from Roman times if not before. The area was part of the lands of the Brigantes tribe which when the Romans came around AD 69 was led by Venutius, they held out agaoinst the invaders for a short while untill being beaten and finaly subjicated.
The Roman General Julius Agricola built a fort between Chester, York and Ribchester to protect the important roads, The fort was constructed just north of the site of present day city in what is now Castlefield (just opposite the the air and space museum) on a hill with the natural defences of the rivers Irwell and Medlock to it's side.
(The first fort would have been built from turf and timber sometime around AD 79, the Romans named it Mamucium. The fort lasted quite a long time, it was expanded around AD 160 and was reinforced with stone around AD 200.)
The Romans and the local Celtic tribe soon found that they each had things to trade with each other, The Celts supplying food leather, wool and iron while the Romans traded imported goods such as pottery, glassware, wines and olive oil. This trade and to a certain extent freindship lead to a settlement soon appering outside the Fort and many romans would have married into the locals and some would have stayed in the area after leaving the army becoming farmers, shopkeepers and crsftsmen.
In AD 410 the romans left Britain and the fort and other roman buildings eventualy fell into ruin and the settlement became smaller.
Manchester is now a vibrant city with a great deal to see and do.
I live in Greater Manchester just outside Oldham and about 5 miles away from the city Centre.
- Pros:Great City, easy to walk round, Great Buildings, Lots to Do and See and it's safe
- Cons:You can not rely on the Weather!
- In a nutshell:Manchester is Englands best city by far!!
The first Jamie’s Italian opened on George Street in Oxford in 2008 when after touring Italy in jamies Italian Escape... more travel advice
If you have time when passing through Piccadilly station why not stop by Carluccio's Cafe up on the first floor! If you... more travel advice
- See All Buses, Metro and Trains
- See All Quarry Bank Mill
- See All Concorde and Nimrod tours
- See All A Fab Place
Balam's Related Pages
Manchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ben-UK's Manchester page"
- "My Manchester"
- "Manchester - Full of Surprises"
- "Manchester - a versatile city"
- "Manchester and the Christmas Markets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manchester
- Hotels in Manchester
- Transportation in Manchester
- Nightlife in Manchester
- Restaurants in Manchester
- Shopping in Manchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Manchester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manchester
- 91 Reviews
- 355 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Manchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manchester
Photos in ManchesterSee All Photos (355)
Videos in ManchesterSee All Videos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 91 reviews, 350 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 44 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhodes (Island) Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos