"Y Mwmbwls" The Mumbles by Balam
The Mumbles Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 85 photos
Said to be one of the best seaside towns in the UK (although every seaside town will tell you that) Mumbles takes its name from the headland which stretches out into Swansea Bay and the Mumbles is the name of not just the town but of the surrounding area which includes Oystermouth were the remains of a Roman Villa were found on the site of the present All Saints Church when the site was being extended in 1860.
In 1793 the Mumbles Lighthouse was erected on the outer of the two tidal islands off Mumbles Head and In 1806, the Oystermouth Railway was built between Oystermouth and Swansea at first with the intention of carrying coal to Swansea until the potential for carrying passengers was realised and a horse drawn railway passenger service started on March 25 1807.
As tourism developed in the area a pier was constructed and opened in 1898.
Famous poet Dylan Thomas was said to have enjoyed many hours at The Mermaid Public house
A Verse says:
Mumbles is a funny place,
A church without a steeple,
Houses made of old ships wrecked
And most peculiar people
Mumbles Pier Cafe is open 7 days a week and is a nice place to go after your walk on the pier, wether to have a hot... more travel advice
Mumbles has a really nice Victorian Pier or at least it did have and would have again it they spent some money on... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
The Mumbles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mumbles - A Charming little town"
- "Y Mwmbwls"
- "The Mumbles"
- "Fishing village cum destination for excursions"
- "mysterious but exciting.."
- "Mumbles (Mwmbwls)"
- "The Mumbles, Wales"
- See All...
- Things to Do in The Mumbles
- Hotels in The Mumbles
- Transportation in The Mumbles
- Restaurants in The Mumbles
- Shopping in The Mumbles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in The Mumbles
- 4 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to The Mumbles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in The Mumbles
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 91 reviews, 350 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 44 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhodes (Island) Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos