"Bak yam" Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham by Balam
Oldham Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 278 photos
Oldhams existence goes back to at least the11th century but it was the Industrial Revolution and cotton in particular that really made the town prosper and by the end of the 19th century Oldham was recognised as the greatest cotton spinning town in the world and the magnificent mill buildings which made Oldham into the greatest cotton spinning town in the wold during the late 19th and early 20th centuries are still evident around the town with some of the once numorous mill chimneys and Great Mill buildings still standing. At it's height Oldhams skyline had hundreds of Chimneys, bery different from today.
A lot of Oldham's town centre architecture is Victorian and the original Town Hall was built in 1841 and it was in front of it's impressive Facade that Sir Winston Churchill made his inaugural acceptance speech from the Town Hall steps when he was first elected into parliment as a Conservative MP in 1900. sadly the Town Hall is now being left to go to ruin as the Council can not find a use for it nor will they spend the money needed to restore it
- Pros:I hate these hard questions.... The Countryside!
- Cons:Not enough space.. There really isn't
- In a nutshell:Multi Cultural
We went to the Printers Arms with my Mum and Dad before heading to Bergamo for EurMeet 2012. My mum had been a few times... more travel advice
It had been years since i had been in this pub and i don't think i have ever eaten here before but one Monday when me... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Oldham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bak yam"
- "Oldham, My home"
- "Steeped in History and Beauty"
- "Daisy Nook country park"
- "Born and bred..... Town gone to the dogs"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oldham
- Hotels in Oldham
- Transportation in Oldham
- Nightlife in Oldham
- Restaurants in Oldham
- Shopping in Oldham
- Warnings and Dangers in Oldham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oldham
- 46 Reviews
- 113 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Oldham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oldham
Photos in OldhamSee All Photos (113)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 90 reviews, 345 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 41 reviews, 176 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhodes (Island) Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (100)
Latest Oldham hotel reviews
- Travelodge Oldham Manchester Street
- 137 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Premier Inn Oldham (Chadderton)
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Swallow Bower
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Saddleworth Hotel
- 172 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- The High Point Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion