"Bak yam" Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham by Balam

Oldham Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 278 photos

Oldham Town

Oldhams existence goes back to at least the11th century but it was the Industrial Revolution and cotton in particular that really made the town prosper and by the end of the 19th century Oldham was recognised as the greatest cotton spinning town in the world and the magnificent mill buildings which made Oldham into the greatest cotton spinning town in the wold during the late 19th and early 20th centuries are still evident around the town with some of the once numorous mill chimneys and Great Mill buildings still standing. At it's height Oldhams skyline had hundreds of Chimneys, bery different from today.

A lot of Oldham's town centre architecture is Victorian and the original Town Hall was built in 1841 and it was in front of it's impressive Facade that Sir Winston Churchill made his inaugural acceptance speech from the Town Hall steps when he was first elected into parliment as a Conservative MP in 1900. sadly the Town Hall is now being left to go to ruin as the Council can not find a use for it nor will they spend the money needed to restore it

• Pros:I hate these hard questions.... The Countryside!
  • Cons:Not enough space.. There really isn't
  • In a nutshell:Multi Cultural
  • Intro Updated Dec 7, 2009

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2012 at 6:10 AM

I appears you have far too many restaurants in walking distance of your house! Gillybob greetings

• mickeyboy07's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2012 at 2:51 AM

You will put unwanted weight on if you keep eating all those rag puddings

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2011 at 11:04 AM

oh how wonderful to hv a couple great Indian restaurants! and so close! and like most, we love the English pubs--it's making me want to get back for another trip...we actually have a small Taco restaurant here that makes their battered fish like authentic English Fish and Chips, so we go there a lot!! I need to go make lunch, but will be back--love your HP!

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Great Park Bridge tip - I should have gone to specsavers lol !! ps great fox pic xx

• muguruki's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2010 at 2:47 AM

Being a veggie I'm not a big fan of black pudd'. Me old man is, he comes back from his pilgrimage to Bury market loaded with the stuff as well as Eccles cakes. I've seen a Kenyan mate of mine in Malindi make black pudding from goats blood, fat and chilli.

• EuromeetKrakow2010's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Thanks a lot for your great tips and beautiful pictures. I'd like to visit Saddleworth Museum and Art Gallery and see beautiful architecture of Oldham incl. Oldham Library! Keep up great job on VT, please!

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 2:37 AM

Hello Gareth, you do live in a nice hometown. Great tips and pictures!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2009 at 4:40 AM

I always like it when industrial remains are preserved and made accessible to visitors. I used to take groups to Birmingham (our sister city) every summer, and Ironbridge was one of our regular outings. Good that the Huddersfield Canal was also reopened.

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Interesting tips Gareth - now I know the road to Oldham from Huddersfield (Hmmm!) I must have a look around. Great food tips! - I like my Mushy peas with mint sauce-especially on Bonfire Night.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Gareth, excellent page with brilliant photos. Although I have been to many places in England I never came across lovely Oldham. I especially like your Black Pudding tip. :-)

Balam Lives Here!

Balam

“Take as Many Pictures As Possible”

Badges & Stats in Oldham