"Pembro" Pembroke by Balam
Pembroke Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 98 photos
The Castle at Pembroke was first built from wood in 1090, it's great tower keep was built by Gilbert de Clare when he became the first earl of Pembroke in 1138
Pembroke came into prominence during the Civil War when in 1648, John Poyer the Mayor of the town declared for the King although there was strong local support for the Parliamentery cause. Poyer along with a group of sympathisers occupied the Castle which was by this time a formidable fortress that was forced ,eventually to surrender after a prolonged seige by Cromwells men.
Pembrokes Main Street runs the length of the old town and is ideal for strolling and browsing the really interesting shops. There are interesting Tudor and Georgian houses as well as two historic churches and some really good shops, pubs, and restaurants.
- Pros:Nice Shops Pubs and cheap parking
- Cons:Not a lot to see after the castle
Manorbier is a small village on the south coast of Pembrokeshire not far from Pembroke town. We called after visiting... more travel advice
Opposite the castle is this freat place to call in for a drink, it is in a old undercroft and has many weapons and bits... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Pembroke Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A lovely Castle town"
- "Pembroke castle"
- "U-N-D-E-R _______ C-O-N-S-T-R-U-C-T-I-O-N !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pembroke
- Hotels in Pembroke
- Nightlife in Pembroke
- Restaurants in Pembroke
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pembroke
- 9 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Pembroke?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pembroke
Photos in PembrokeSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 93 reviews, 360 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos