"Porthcawl" Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl by Balam
Porthcawl Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 281 photos
Porthcawl is a town on the south coast of Wales in the county borough of Bridgend 25 miles west of Cardiff and 19 miles south-east of Swansea. It developed as a coal port during the 19th century, but its trade was soon taken over by more rapidly developing ports such as Barry. It is now a holiday resort and is home to a large static caravan park known as Trecco Bay.
It has an extensive Promenade and several beaches two of which are ‘Blue Flag beaches’ a tourist-oriented beach at Trecco Bay, at the east end of the town and a sandy beach at Rest Bay to the northwest of the town. The quiet and sandy Pink Bay leading out towards Sker point, where a tarmac covered car park serves a sandy beach.
There are many hotels and guest houses as well as a funfair called Coney Beach. Four rocky points line the shore, Hutchwns Point, Porthcawl Point (on which a lighthouse situated), Rhych Point and Newton Point.
There are some great places to view wildlife, from rock pools to sand dunes you can spend hours looking at sea anemones, jelly fish, crabs and other crustaceans. The Dunes are great places for spotting butterflies, lizards and maybe an Adder
Porthcawl, like many UK resorts has suffered a decline in its holiday trade over recent years,
This lovely pub is situated near to Ogmore Castle so if your visiting the Castle it really is worth calling in for some... more travel advice
Trecco Bay is one of the UK's largest holiday parks and is situated right on the edge of some lovely beaches and Sand... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Porthcawl Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Lively Seaside resort- something for everyone!"
- "Porthcawl - My Home"
- "wide beach"
- "Short trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porthcawl
- Hotels in Porthcawl
- Transportation in Porthcawl
- Nightlife in Porthcawl
- Restaurants in Porthcawl
- Shopping in Porthcawl
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porthcawl
- 32 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Porthcawl?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porthcawl
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 94 reviews, 360 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos