"Port Mad Dog!!" Porthmadog by Balam
Porthmadog Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 20 photos
Once great seaport, rich in maritime history Pothmadog developed in the 19th century as a port exporting slate to England and the rest of the world.
it is surrounded by stunning scenery witrh the mountain called ‘Moel y Gest' to the North and East and to the south the Glaslyn estuary which is renowned as a haven for migrating birds and wildlife which was created by the building of The Cob sea wall in 1811 by William Madocks to reclaim a large proportion of Traeth Mawr from the sea for agricultural use which then in turn created a new natural harbour which was deep enough for small ocean going sailing ships
The land then extends dramatically towards the Snowdon Mountain Range.
It is the terminus of the Ffestiniog Railway, originaly built to carry slate to the port it is now a major tourist attraction.
iIt is ideally placed for visiting all of the main tourist attractions of Snowdonia
Balam's Related Pages
Porthmadog Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Borth - Y - Gest"
- "Port Mad Dog!!"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Porthmadog
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Porthmadog?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porthmadog
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 90 reviews, 345 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 42 reviews, 181 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhodes (Island) Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos