"The Smallest City" Saint Davids by Balam
Saint Davids Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 58 photos
Around 589 to 601 AD St David died but had founded a monastery on the site of the cathedral, between 645-1097 St. Davids was attacked and destroyed many times with Vikings killing Bishop Morgenau in 999 and Bishop Abraham in 1080
After the Norman invasion of 1066 William the conqueror visited St. davids to pray but in 1089 Davids shrine was vandalized and stripped of its precious metals
By 1123 St Davids had recived a "privilege" from Pope Calixtus II. and became a centre for pilgrimage and in 1131 Bishop Bernard dedicated a new Cathedral but the Present Cathedral was not begun untill 1181 but it was not easy going as in 1220 the New Tower collapsed and in 1247/1248 the building was damaged by an earthquake.
over the years the building has of course been added to and surrounding buildings have been constructed, the most famous of these would be the Bishops palace which was costructed in 1328 - 1347 and St Marys College in 1365
In the 16th C the Holy Trinity Chapel was built (1509-22) and the Nave roof and ceiling was costructed in 1530-40 and in 1540 Edmund Tudor's tomb was placed in front of the high altar.
Much restoration has been done over the years and in 1793 the West Front rebuilt by Nash
Sir George Gilbert Scott restored the building in 1862-77 and in 1901 the Lady Chapel restored followed by the remaining eastern chapels
New Cloisters were built between 2004-07
St Davids although a City is only one of the size of a village, it was only granted City status in 1995 by Queen Elizebeth II in recognition of it's great Cathedral.
I had a quick look around after walking up from the Cathedral.
The Cathedral and it's associated building were protected by a great wall with fortifications, The gateway that led to... more travel advice
In the Centre of St Davids is Cross Square where there is a large cross up some steps which makes a nice view point for... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Saint Davids Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St David's Pembrokeshire"
- "The Smallest City"
- "Two go camping in St Davids"
- "Tyddewi - tiny little city in a corner of Wales"
- "St. Davids"
- "St. David's, Wales.....coming soon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Davids
- Restaurants in Saint Davids
- Shopping in Saint Davids
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Davids
- 6 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Saint Davids?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Davids
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Manchester Christmas Markets..."
- Wrote a Review Cathedral Gateway in Saint Davids Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cathedral Gateway"
- Uploaded a Video to Saint Davids
- updated a Saint Davids Travel Page "The Smallest City"
- Commented on one of ranger49's Saint Davids travel pages
Photos in Saint DavidsSee All Photos (25)
Videos in Saint DavidsSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 91 reviews, 350 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 45 reviews, 195 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhodes (Island) Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos