"Abertawe" Swansea by Balam
Swansea Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 279 photos
Swansea is Wales second most populated City and the third most populated county in Wales.
Swansea originally developed as a Viking trading post but the Romans were also in the area as archaeological finds show, other finds include items from the Stone Age, Bronze Age, and Iron Age. A Castle was founded by Henry de Beaumont in 1106 and further extended and rebuilt in Stone over the years. Now in ruins there is not much left but the remains have now been preserved and have been made into a feature in the town centre.
Whilst the city itself has a long history most of the city centre buildings are post war as most of its older buildings were destroyed by bombing during World War II and mostly within a 3 day period on the 19th, 20th and 21st of February 1941.
The Dylan Thomas Centre in Swansea (Situated within the Guild Hall) is certainly worth a quick look if you?re in town,... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Swansea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Swansea - Abertawe"
- "Croeso i Abertawe (Swansea)"
- "Only a few hours there"
- "A city which stirs mixed emotions."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Swansea
- Hotels in Swansea
- Transportation in Swansea
- Nightlife in Swansea
- Restaurants in Swansea
- Shopping in Swansea
- Warnings and Dangers in Swansea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Swansea
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Swansea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Swansea
Photos in SwanseaSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 94 reviews, 365 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos