"Dinbych y Pysgod" Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby by Balam
Tenby Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 249 photos
Tenby is steeped in history and is one of Wales few Walled Towns but Tenby has seen many changes since the Normans Arrived in the late 11th Century when impressed by the fertility of the land of Pembrokeshire and realising the strategic importance of Pembroke in any plans of subjugating the region the Town became their headquarters. The Welsh fortress at Nearby Tenby was soon captured and by the mid 12th century a primitive castle had been constructed on Castle Hill, garrisoned by English and French troops. After some skirmishes with the Welsh forces the town was attacked and ransacked in 1187 by welsh troops led by Maelgwyn ap Rhys and again In 1260 when it suffered its last battering at Welsh hands and Llewelyn ap Gruffydd slaughted the garrison and the residents in protest against the Norman occupation of Wales.
After the destruction of the town the Earls of Pembroke realised that the defences of Tenby were inadequate and as the town played an important part in controlling the south It was decided to increase the towns defences so that the whole town would be secure behind a impregnable wall with towers and gateways and the castle with its cliff top location would form another defensive bulwark.
Tenby became very popular during the Victorian era when many publications advertised Tenby as a cure for all Ills and that just visiting would be benificial to your health, if you were Ill going to Tenby would cure you! and if you were not Ill then going to Tenby would keep you Fit and Healthy.
Tenby became very popular during the Victorian era when many publications advertised Tenby as a cure for all Ills and that just visiting would be beneficial to your health, if you were Ill going to Tenby would cure you! And if you were not Ill then going to Tenby would keep you Fit and Healthy.
Afternoons and evenings were given over to the new favourite social pursuit of dressing up and being seen around town acceptable company and 'Promenading' was taken very seriously.
During the Victorian era Tenby saw a massive increase in its population and a great deal of building work was undertaken. On the cliff tops large houses with terraces were built for wealthy residents, some just for Holiday homes many eventually becoming small Hotels and guest houses.
The Coach and horses is the Oldest Pub in Tenby and is packed foll of history, There are some great period features like... more travel advice
The Bay of Bengal is a nice restaurant that overlooks the sea, they have a downstairs indoor terrace with tables that... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Tenby Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tenby - Pearl of Pembrokeshire"
- "Tenby - Dinbwch Y Pysgod"
- "Tenby : why the Riviera when there's Wales?"
- "Dinbych y Pysgod"
- "Tenby - Dinbych-y-Pysgod"
- "Tenby - tenderly town in Wales"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tenby
- Hotels in Tenby
- Transportation in Tenby
- Nightlife in Tenby
- Restaurants in Tenby
- Shopping in Tenby
- Warnings and Dangers in Tenby
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tenby
- 7 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Tenby?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tenby
Photos in TenbySee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 94 reviews, 365 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos