"Alvor, A Lovely Place" Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor by Balam
Alvor Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 373 photos
Alvor is a small fishing village which is quickly being overcome with large hotels but despite the tourism growth it has been facing, you can still watch fishermen bring in their daily catch down at the old quay but now there is also a new marina and numerous up-to-date tourist facilities.
Ria de Alvor, one of the most important humid areas of the south of Portugal, is a natural sanctuary that deserves preservation and respect. This sensitive area of Portimão it’s used by migratory birds (like the capped heron, the long-billed tern, the falcon and the white stork) as a passing-through, rest and feeding location.
Probably the Carthaginians founded Alvor and its history is interesting. It is said by some that it was really the site of "Portus Hannibalis". The Romans gave it the name Ipses and it was considered an important port and was allowed to issue its own money. Its richness is confirmed by the ruins of a rich Roman villa located slightly inland from the now village. In the time of the Moors who first occupied the place in 716, they gave it the named of "Albur" and the town passed through both the Portuguese and Moors hands several times until 1250 when the Christians conquered it for the final time. King Dom João II, who is regarded as an outstanding Portuguese king, is recorded as dying in 1495 within the town walls from a prolonged illness. Most of the original town has been destroyed in the earthquakes of 1532 and 1755.
See the full view from our Balcony
Fishing is still alive in the village with a new fish market having been built a short walk down the promenade although the old fish market is still a place were the Old fisher men gather and some still sit and clean their catch there
you can still watch fishermen bring in their daily catch down at the old quay but now there is also a new marina and numerous up-to-date tourist facilities. The narrow streets of the old village have many attractive restaurants and, as expected in the land of fishermen, fish is the speciality dish.
Video of Alvor fishermen cleaning their catch
Alvor's narrow streets of the old village have many attractive restaurants from traditional village food to Indian food.
In the Picture the building at the end of the street is the old Fish Market and as expected in the land of fishermen, fish is the speciality dish.
Video of a walk down Alvors main st to the old fish Market
I have moved my Food, recipe and other general tips to my new Algarve page's
- Pros:Large beach nearby, lots of places to eat and drink.
- Cons:It is quite hilly.
- In a nutshell:A Picturesque Village with friendly people
Although only small The Indian Hut II (Indian Hut I is around the corner and much bigger) serves up some really nice... more travel advice
Alcalar is a group of megalithic funeral temples which were discovered in the nineteenth century but built and used over... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Alvor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alvor, A Lovely Place"
- "My favourite place in the World!"
- "Alvor - its quality not quantity"
- "Old fishing village"
- "Alvor, Portugal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alvor
- Hotels in Alvor
- Transportation in Alvor
- Nightlife in Alvor
- Restaurants in Alvor
- Shopping in Alvor
- Warnings and Dangers in Alvor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alvor
- 76 Reviews
- 280 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Alvor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alvor
Photos in AlvorSee All Photos (280)
Videos in AlvorSee All Videos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 94 reviews, 360 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos