"Nice and Quiet" Top 5 Page for this destination Carvoeiro by Balam
Carvoeiro Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 63 photos
This was a very small intimate fishing village that has lost any resemblance to its modest origins.
In 1965 a foreign resident wrote about the place - “the mode of living remains essentially medieval”. Then there came the tourists and the money.
Today, the village spreads east and west with many expensive villas and holiday apartments. What was once the one and only village street is now three streets lined with bars, restaurants and tourist shops some in a Horrible art deco style that obviously signifies a lot of fast building at some point in the 1970's
Happily if you look there are still examples of the older quaint small houses tucked in between the more recent ones.
A 36-Hole Golf & Holiday Complex can be found to the west of the village together with a well run Tennis Centre. To the east and on the outskirts is a further 9-Hole Course. A couple of Lawn Bowling Clubs add to the choice of sport. The area has long been considered a excellent area for tourist to acquire property and also due to the variety and pleasure provided its many small beaches. High cliffs surround most of these, and some of which have eroded to create beckoning dark caves most of which are only accessible at low tide
To the west and near to Carvoeiro is the village of Ferragudo, which still remains as a virtually un-spoilt small fishing village. Lagoa, the nearby area administrative town is also close to the birth place of the 11th Century renown Arab poet "Ibn Ammar". Inland is the typical inland small village of Porches. Another place that is a must to be visited is the inland historic and interesting city of Silves with its remains of its castle as a reminder of its greater past.
- Pros:It's nice and quiet in march
- Cons:there is not a great deal to do
- In a nutshell:An example of how tourism can spoil places.
Next to the beach this Cafe/restaurant serves great ice creams to eat in or take away. sadly the service is certainly... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Carvoeiro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carvoeiro, Algarve"
- "Paradise Found"
- "Nice and Quiet"
- "THE ALGARVE - NICE WHEN ITS FINISHED"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carvoeiro
- Hotels in Carvoeiro
- Nightlife in Carvoeiro
- Restaurants in Carvoeiro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carvoeiro
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Carvoeiro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carvoeiro
Videos in CarvoeiroSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 94 reviews, 360 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos