"Tavira" Tavira by Balam
Tavira Travel Guide: 196 reviews and 385 photos
Tavira along with Lagos is one of the most architecturally attractive towns in the Algarve and its origin dates back to around 2.000 BC. During the occupation of the Algarve by the Moors this town was considered of great importance due to its fishing industry.
Like most of the Algarve its buildings were all virtually destroyed by the earthquake of 1755. The town now has many fine 18th Century buildings along with some 37 churches. A Roman bridge links the two parts of the town across the River Gilão.
Its original economic reliance on the fishing industry has now been surpassed due to the change in the migration patterns of Tuna fish.
The Old bridge in Tavira is a great example of Medieval construction that links the two parts of the town across the... more travel advice
It is not known when the first castle at this site was built. Some sources say a fortress here was already being rebuilt... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Tavira Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tavira a paradise still not spoilt"
- "Tavira: Pretty Town With Fascinating Urban Core"
- "Tavira a charming Town in the South East Algarve."
- "Nice City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tavira
- Hotels in Tavira
- Transportation in Tavira
- Nightlife in Tavira
- Restaurants in Tavira
- Shopping in Tavira
- Warnings and Dangers in Tavira
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tavira
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Tavira?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tavira
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Manchester Christmas Markets..."
- Commented on one of davesut's Tavira travel pages
- Wrote a Review Roman Bridge, (Ponta de Romana) about Roman Bridge - Ponta de Romana in Tavira Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cathedral"
- created a Tavira Travelogue "Tavira Pictures"
Photos in TaviraSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 91 reviews, 350 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 45 reviews, 195 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhodes (Island) Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos