"Pompeii" Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii by Balam

Pompeii Travel Guide: 991 reviews and 2,751 photos

History of the ecavation's

Carlo di Borbone began ecavating the site in 1748, and digging was done sporadically. Although it was then thought to be a major discovery it was only after a number of years that the site was finnaly identified as Pompeii.

When excavations began the first features of the city that were exposed were part of the necropolis outside Porta Ercolano and the temple of Isis. Among the many fantastic discoveries that were made the House of the Faun contained a large mosaic which depicts Alexander the Great in a battle which is now world famous.

The Eruption of the Vesuvious

A first hand account of the eruption that buried Pompeii exists in a Letter from Pliny the Younger

"A black and terrible cloud, rent by snaking bursts of fire, gaped open in huge flashes of flames; it was like lightning, but far more extensive.
Soon afterwards, the cloud lowered towards the earth and covered the sea. Then my mother began to beg me to try to escape as best I could.
Ashes were already falling, but not yet thickly. When night fell, not one such as when there is no moon or the sky is cloudy, but a night like being in a closed place with the lights out. One could hear the wailing of women, the crying of children, the shouting of men; they called each other, some their parents, others their children, still others their mates, trying to recognize each other by their voices. Some lamented their own fate, others the fate of their loved ones. There were even those who out of their fear of death prayed for death.
It lightened a little, it seemed to us not daylight but a sign of approaching fire. But the fire stopped some distance away; darkness came on again, again ashes, thick and heavy. We got up repeatedly to shake these off; otherwise we would have been buried and crushed by the weight. At last that fog thinned and dissipated in a kind of smoke or mist; soon there was real daylight; the sun even shone, though wanly, as when there is an eclipse. Our still trembling eyes found everything changed, buried by a deep blanket of ashes as if it had snowed. Fear prevailed, since the earthquake tremors went on, and many, out of their senses, were mocking their own woes and others by awful predictions. But we, even though we had escaped some perils and expected others, we did not think even of going away until we should have news of my uncle."

Pompeii is such a fantastic place that there is just so much that i want to put and i took so many pictures that i want to put them all on but it would take hours.

• Pros:Many
  • Cons:Very hot and dry, Take some water
  • In a nutshell:Amazing !
  • Last visit to Pompeii: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 7, 2009

• George_Arba's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Great page with wonderfull pictures and very interesting tips of such a special placeI I'm going to visit it in september.

• windoweb's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2010 at 3:45 AM

Grazie for the tips. We are going to see the sights for ourselves this October.

• leics's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Thank you, Gareth! :-) Been twice, spent about the same amount of time as you, still much more I want to see. Will have to return soon, I think (def not in summer!). J

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Came back a second time to make notes for a trip! Great photos & detail. Grazie

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Great site, I did like a lot!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 6:40 AM

Great page! Your pages show me how much I missed because I couldn't stand the sun, heat & humidity anymore and had to leave. Your photos are great too.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Hi Gareth....This is a marvelous Pompeii page...Interesting tips and great photos!! Someday Id like to get back to spend more time here...Cheers!!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Pompeii on my wishlist --- too bad it's not on my itinerary when we visit Italy this Sept - but one of these days...sigh...and your pages are deserving of Top 5!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2009 at 7:08 AM

Excellent Pompeii page with lovely photographs! The Temple of Apollo, Modestum's Bakery, Amphitheatre and The Forum all look attractive to visit! We hope to visit Pompeii one day. ~ho & pang

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2009 at 2:30 AM

Hi, I liked your Pompeii page so much. It's informative and very useful. Also tips and photos are good too.

Balam

“Take as Many Pictures As Possible”

Badges & Stats in Pompeii

Have you been to Pompeii?

Latest Activity in Pompeii