"Pompeii" Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii by Balam
Pompeii Travel Guide: 1,002 reviews and 2,808 photos
Carlo di Borbone began ecavating the site in 1748, and digging was done sporadically. Although it was then thought to be a major discovery it was only after a number of years that the site was finnaly identified as Pompeii.
When excavations began the first features of the city that were exposed were part of the necropolis outside Porta Ercolano and the temple of Isis. Among the many fantastic discoveries that were made the House of the Faun contained a large mosaic which depicts Alexander the Great in a battle which is now world famous.
A first hand account of the eruption that buried Pompeii exists in a Letter from Pliny the Younger
"A black and terrible cloud, rent by snaking bursts of fire, gaped open in huge flashes of flames; it was like lightning, but far more extensive.
Soon afterwards, the cloud lowered towards the earth and covered the sea. Then my mother began to beg me to try to escape as best I could.
Ashes were already falling, but not yet thickly. When night fell, not one such as when there is no moon or the sky is cloudy, but a night like being in a closed place with the lights out. One could hear the wailing of women, the crying of children, the shouting of men; they called each other, some their parents, others their children, still others their mates, trying to recognize each other by their voices. Some lamented their own fate, others the fate of their loved ones. There were even those who out of their fear of death prayed for death.
It lightened a little, it seemed to us not daylight but a sign of approaching fire. But the fire stopped some distance away; darkness came on again, again ashes, thick and heavy. We got up repeatedly to shake these off; otherwise we would have been buried and crushed by the weight. At last that fog thinned and dissipated in a kind of smoke or mist; soon there was real daylight; the sun even shone, though wanly, as when there is an eclipse. Our still trembling eyes found everything changed, buried by a deep blanket of ashes as if it had snowed. Fear prevailed, since the earthquake tremors went on, and many, out of their senses, were mocking their own woes and others by awful predictions. But we, even though we had escaped some perils and expected others, we did not think even of going away until we should have news of my uncle."
Pompeii is such a fantastic place that there is just so much that i want to put and i took so many pictures that i want to put them all on but it would take hours.
- Cons:Very hot and dry, Take some water
- In a nutshell:Amazing !
The large Palaestra was discoverd in 1936 and measures 130 x 140 meters and is surrounded on 3 sides by a fine portico... more travel advice
This is one of the more famous houses in Pompeii, made so because of the fountain in the Peristillium. more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Pompeii Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The wonderful Roman town of Pompei"
- "The Dead City"
- "Striding across Pompei"
- "Frozen in time"
- "Pompeii: Rising from the Ashes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pompeii
- Hotels in Pompeii
- Transportation in Pompeii
- Nightlife in Pompeii
- Restaurants in Pompeii
- Shopping in Pompeii
- Warnings and Dangers in Pompeii
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pompeii
- 26 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Pompeii?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pompeii
- Posted in Travel Alvor Forum "Re: where can i get a massage in..."
- Commented on one of Evenith666's Pompeii travel pages
- updated a Pompeii Travel Page "Pompeii"
- Uploaded a Video to Pompeii
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pompeii Pictures 2"
- Wrote a Review The Large Palaestra about Palestra in Pompeii Things to Do
Videos in PompeiiSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 94 reviews, 360 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos