"Cowbridge" Cowbridge by Balam
Cowbridge Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 145 photos
Cowbridge is a picturesque market town that is situated in the heart of the Vale of Glamorgan, an area rich in heritage and culture. The town’s history dates back centuries and is believed to have been founded during the late eleventh century by Robert St. Quentin, a Norman knight of FitzHamon upon the site of a Roman settlement that is thought by some scholars to be the fort of Bovium (cow-place). Recent excavations have revealed an extensive Roman settlement alongside a Roman road.
The most visible history around town is from its medieval past and the town centre is still arranged on its medieval plan which was probably built on the top of the roman one. There is one long street divided into Plots of land or 'burgage plots'. It is one of very few medieval walled towns in Wales and large portions of the walls and the south gate still remain today as do some old buildings like the town hall whose building is said to date back to the Elizabethan era and served as a prison until 1830 when it was converted into the town hall.
The town boasts 5 Inns and an entire department store on one high street!
There are many places to visit around Cowbridge, St Quintins Castle and Beupre castle are just short drives away as is Dyffryn Gardens in fact to much to list really.
Former residents include David Lloyd George who was Britain’s only Welsh Prime Minister, and Iolo Morganwg who devised the rituals for the Modern Eisteddfod
We bought some nice Welsh Cakes from this shop, they had a lot of really nice looking cakes and biscuits, i really... more travel advice
This fantastic pub dates back to 1383 when the area Monknash was the richest estate owned by the cistercian abbey at... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Cowbridge
- 15 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Cowbridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cowbridge
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 94 reviews, 365 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos