"Vacationing through Colorado" Colorado by CJD68

Colorado Travel Guide: 5,615 reviews and 11,863 photos

Where the name came from

Soon after gold was discovered near Denver, the region around Pikes Peak became the Colorado Territory. Other names, such as Colona, Jefferson, Osage and even Idaho, were suggested and discarded in favor of Colorado, Spanish for "red" in reference to the color of the water of the Colorado River.

Synopsis of the trip

(Under Construction)

JUST STARTING OUT.
Arrived in Colorado Springs airport very late at night. Despite the flight problems, getting the rental car and finding our way to the highway and to our hotel room was no problem.

Took I-25 to St. Rt. 24 W and went site seeing in Manitou Springs - Pikes Peak Cog Rail, Garden of the Gods, and Cave of the Winds. Then took I-25 S and grabbed dinner in Pueblo. Continued on I-25 S to Walsenburg, then headed west on St. Rt. 160 to Alamosa. Spent an uneventful night there, then kept taking St. Rt. 160 W to Durango. Enjoyed a beautiful day in Durango - shopping, eating, site seeings. Went to the Bar D Chuck Wagon just out of town for dinner and spent the night.

Next day we took St. Rt. 160 W to Mesa Verde National Park. Took a tour and hiked other parts of the park. We backtracked to Durango then headed North on Rt. 550, "the Million Dollar Highway". Paused several times for photos, but didn't really stop until Ouray. Nice little town, Ouray. The natural hot springs, the water falls, the community park right off the road and plenty of bar/restaurants to eat and drink. Continued on to Rt. 550 N to Grand Junction and stayed the night. GJ seemed very industrial and didn't match with our overall impressions of Colorado.

Up early and headed west on I-70 to Utah.

ON THE WAY BACK.
Cruised up I-25 from New Mexico and grabbed a late dinner in Pueblo. Didn't stop until we reached Manitou Springs where we stayed the night. Got up early so we could enjoy Garden of the Gods one more time, then off to the airport and on our way home.

Overall, I thought Colorado was a wonderful state to visit and would be great to live in. The air was fresh and clean, the people fit and friendly, incredible geography/scenery, and enough well marked signs to direct you to the various points of interest.

• Last visit to Colorado: Jun 2001
  • Intro Updated Feb 2, 2004

CJD68

“Have a dream, follow it, and enjoy the journey.”

Badges & Stats in Colorado

Have you been to Colorado?

Latest Activity in Colorado