"Bishkek - Under Construction" Bishkek by Santini738
Bishkek Travel Guide: 103 reviews and 262 photos
Bishkek is the capital and the largest city of Kyrgyzstan.
Founded in 1878 as the Russian fortress of Pishpek (Пишпек), between 1926 and 1991 it was known as Frunze (Фрунзе), after the Bolshevik military leader Mikhail Frunze. The name is thought to derive from a Kyrgyz word for a churn used to make fermented mare's milk (kumis), the Kyrgyz national drink.
Bishkek is situated at about 800 m altitude just off the northern fringe of the Ala-Too range, an extension of the Tien Shan mountain range, which rises up to 4,800 m and provides a spectacular backdrop to the city. North of the city, a fertile and gently undulating steppe extends far north into neighboring Kazakhstan. The Chui river drains most of the area. Bishkek is connected to the Turkestan-Siberia Railway by a spur.
Bishkek is a city of wide boulevards and marble-faced public buildings combined with numerous Soviet-style apartment blocks surrounding interior courtyards and, especially outside the city center, thousands of smaller privately built houses. It is laid out on a grid pattern, with most streets flanked on both sides by narrow irrigation channels that water the innumerable trees which provide shade in the hot summers.
Santini738's Related Pages
Bishkek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE FIRST BISHKEK PAGE IN 4 YEARS"
- "Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, my venture into Central Asia"
- "Very young and very green"
- "Yurt (Home Land )"
- "Bishkek - Home to Horse Meat and the Bitter Cold"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bishkek
- Hotels in Bishkek
- Transportation in Bishkek
- Nightlife in Bishkek
- Restaurants in Bishkek
- Shopping in Bishkek
- Warnings and Dangers in Bishkek
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bishkek
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Bishkek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bishkek
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Ili Intro, 20 reviews, 83 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 37 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 9 reviews, 33 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Havana Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos
- Zagreb Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos
- Rome Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 21 photos
- Naples Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Palma de Mallorca Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos
Latest Bishkek hotel reviews