"Cairns QLD more than a tourist city." Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns by tropicrd
Cairns Travel Guide: 867 reviews and 2,199 photos
Hello and welcome to Cairns.
Some people say to use Cairns as a gateway to the Far North but I must disagree with them.
Cairns has so much to offer visitors who don't want to travel to far from the city.
The Northern end of the Cairns Esplanade where you can watch the bird life--it is very peaceful and not many tourists walk up to this end.
The Botanical Gardens are nice but we also have the salt water and fresh water Centenary Lakes--the walks are lovely throughout this area.
If you are interested in Queenslander homes then visit the suburbs of Edge Hill,Whitfield,Parramatta Park.
If you don't want to eat in the hub of the city,try going to "The Edge" for dinner situated at the small village of Edge Hill--also a great place to have lunch or coffee and people watch.
Freshwater creek is a nice place for locals to swim or take a trip within easy reach to the Northern Beaches--Machans,Holloways,Trinity--all have picnic areas and local cafes/fish & chip/and restaurants.
If you want to know about Cairns then don't hesitate to ask me.
The mud flats of Cairns are really unique as when the tide is out you will see mud crabs and other critters along the Esplanade.If you want to see the bird life then mornings and evenings are best.
These free bbq's are situated along the Cairns Esplanade and are looked after by the CCC (city council) they are very popular with tourists and locals.
Best to get there early but if you don't--no worries as people usually share the cooking space with others--all you need to do is ask.
Remember that these bbq areas are alcohol free zones.
- Pros:Tropical lifestyle
- Cons:Extreme heat/humidity during the wet season.
- In a nutshell:More than the gateway to the Far North.
Fairyland in Kuranda is an actual rainforest area where back in the early 1900's visitors arrived by the scenic train... more travel advice
Burning of the cane is part of the Cairns Festival which is held every year during the last 9 days of August and ending... more travel advice
- See All Good coffee at the club
- See All Stop for fresh fruit and vegies.
- See All Don't get stuck in the mud.
- See All Drive on a dusty country road
- See All Working holidays in Cairns
- See All qconnect--new bus timetables
- Galleries have control of Indigenous...
- See All "Your shout mate"
- Pandamonium Live Bands
- See All Fishing list and tips for Families.
- See All Sport at Cazaly's,Cairns
Been to Cairns?Share your travels with the world!
tropicrd's Related Pages
Cairns Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairns QLD more than a tourist city."
- "CAIRNS (PAGES UNDER CONSTRUCTION)"
- "Cairns - gateway to Far North Queensland"
- "Cairns - A Land of Contrast"
- "Cairns - more than the Great Barrier Reef"
- "Tropical North Queensland's landing strip...Cairns"
- "IMPREXXION: CAIRNS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairns
- Hotels in Cairns
- Transportation in Cairns
- Nightlife in Cairns
- Restaurants in Cairns
- Shopping in Cairns
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairns
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cairns
- 126 Reviews
- 475 Photos
- 79 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Cairns?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairns
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of tropicrd's Cairns travel pages
- Wrote a Review Fairyland in Kuranda about Kuranda in Cairns Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fairyland in Kuranda"
- Uploaded a Video to Cairns
- Commented on the Cairns travel guide
- updated a Cairns Travelogue "Aboriginal mythology,Dreamtime."
Photos in CairnsSee All Photos (475)
Videos in CairnsSee All Videos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns Intro, 126 reviews, 475 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 13 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Tasmania Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albany Intro, 8 reviews, 44 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 9 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos
- Mareeba Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos
- Australia Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Tribulation Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos