"Cairns QLD more than a tourist city." Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns by tropicrd
Cairns Travel Guide: 892 reviews and 2,392 photos
Hello and welcome to Cairns.
Some people say to use Cairns as a gateway to the Far North but I must disagree with them.
Cairns has so much to offer visitors who don't want to travel to far from the city.
The Northern end of the Cairns Esplanade where you can watch the bird life--it is very peaceful and not many tourists walk up to this end.
The Botanical Gardens are nice but we also have the salt water and fresh water Centenary Lakes--the walks are lovely throughout this area.
If you are interested in Queenslander homes then visit the suburbs of Edge Hill,Whitfield,Parramatta Park.
If you don't want to eat in the hub of the city,try going to "The Edge" for dinner situated at the small village of Edge Hill--also a great place to have lunch or coffee and people watch.
Freshwater creek is a nice place for locals to swim or take a trip within easy reach to the Northern Beaches--Machans,Holloways,Trinity--all have picnic areas and local cafes/fish & chip/and restaurants.
If you want to know about Cairns then don't hesitate to ask me.
The mud flats of Cairns are really unique as when the tide is out you will see mud crabs and other critters along the Esplanade.If you want to see the bird life then mornings and evenings are best.
These free bbq's are situated along the Cairns Esplanade and are looked after by the CCC (city council) they are very popular with tourists and locals.
Best to get there early but if you don't--no worries as people usually share the cooking space with others--all you need to do is ask.
Remember that these bbq areas are alcohol free zones.
- Pros:Tropical lifestyle
- Cons:Extreme heat/humidity during the wet season.
- In a nutshell:More than the gateway to the Far North.
Mangoes are a beautiful Tropical fruit that are ready to pick around October/November in time for the Australian Summer... more travel advice
If you have time why not go crocodile spotting deep into the mangroves of Trinity Inlet, Cairns. The day I went was... more travel advice
- See All Cairns newest Tropical & Romantic...
- See All Good coffee at the club
- See All Stop for fresh fruit and vegies.
- See All Don't get stuck in the mud.
- See All Drive on a dusty country road
- See All Working holidays in Cairns
- See All qconnect--new bus timetables
- Galleries have control of Indigenous...
- See All "Your shout mate"
- Pandamonium Live Bands
- See All Fishing list and tips for Families.
- See All Sport at Cazaly's,Cairns
tropicrd's Related Pages
Cairns Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairns QLD more than a tourist city."
- "CAIRNS (PAGES UNDER CONSTRUCTION)"
- "Cairns - A Land of Contrast"
- "Cairns - gateway to Far North Queensland"
- "IMPREXXION: CAIRNS"
- "Tropical North Queensland's landing strip...Cairns"
- "Cairns in the Far North"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairns
- Hotels in Cairns
- Transportation in Cairns
- Nightlife in Cairns
- Restaurants in Cairns
- Shopping in Cairns
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairns
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cairns
- 132 Reviews
- 509 Photos
- 84 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Cairns?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairns
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Euromeet 2016 has started ..."
- updated a Cairns Travelogue "The changing slopes around Cairns"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alcohol free Cairns Esplanade"
- Commented on one of aussirose's Cairns travelogues
- Wrote a Review Mango Madness in Cairns Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Cairns
- Commented on the Cairns travel guide
Photos in CairnsSee All Photos (509)
Videos in CairnsSee All Videos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns Intro, 132 reviews, 501 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 13 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Tasmania Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Tribulation Intro, 8 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albany Intro, 8 reviews, 44 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 9 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos
- Mareeba Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos
- Australia Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue