"Cairns QLD more than a tourist city." Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns by tropicrd

Cairns Travel Guide: 867 reviews and 2,199 photos

Welcome to Cairns QLD ----My backyard

Hello and welcome to Cairns.
Some people say to use Cairns as a gateway to the Far North but I must disagree with them.
Cairns has so much to offer visitors who don't want to travel to far from the city.

The Northern end of the Cairns Esplanade where you can watch the bird life--it is very peaceful and not many tourists walk up to this end.

The Botanical Gardens are nice but we also have the salt water and fresh water Centenary Lakes--the walks are lovely throughout this area.

If you are interested in Queenslander homes then visit the suburbs of Edge Hill,Whitfield,Parramatta Park.

If you don't want to eat in the hub of the city,try going to "The Edge" for dinner situated at the small village of Edge Hill--also a great place to have lunch or coffee and people watch.

Freshwater creek is a nice place for locals to swim or take a trip within easy reach to the Northern Beaches--Machans,Holloways,Trinity--all have picnic areas and local cafes/fish & chip/and restaurants.

If you want to know about Cairns then don't hesitate to ask me.

The mud flats of Cairns

The mud flats of Cairns are really unique as when the tide is out you will see mud crabs and other critters along the Esplanade.If you want to see the bird life then mornings and evenings are best.

BBQ's along the Cairns Esplanade

These free bbq's are situated along the Cairns Esplanade and are looked after by the CCC (city council) they are very popular with tourists and locals.
Best to get there early but if you don't--no worries as people usually share the cooking space with others--all you need to do is ask.

Remember that these bbq areas are alcohol free zones.

• Pros:Tropical lifestyle
  • Cons:Extreme heat/humidity during the wet season.
  • In a nutshell:More than the gateway to the Far North.
  • Intro Updated Sep 30, 2011

• Wisedancer's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2014 at 2:24 AM

Wonderful page and information Dorrise...Looking forward to meeting again

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Whilst we have the Orleans Farm providing us with Fruits and corn, it's nothing like the produce of Fruitbat which i equate with Nelspruit in Mapumalanga of South Africa or Brits area ~ oh reminiscing ;-)))

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
      Oct 10, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Remind me to read up about the Big VT Meet, our Broadwalk is over the Bogs at Mer Bleu some 10 minutes from home ;-)))

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Thanks Ken, the VT meet is on the meetings page for September next year.
      It is called the Cairns Tropical Downunder Meet..
      I love locally grown produce..Thanks for visiting my Cairns page again.
      Cheers Dorrise

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2012 at 6:01 AM

My hubby & I were in Cairns this past July and loved it! I am glad you added a tip about the Queensland houses' architecture which I found very unique and pleasing to the eye. Also, I very much liked the Aboriginal art and I try to understand what story it depicts. Though I could not afford a piece of artwork, I did purchase several beach towels featuring that type of art, LOL!! Thanks for sharing great information and photos!

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2012 at 8:05 PM

My wife and I just finished watching a TV show called House Hunters International where a young lady was moving from Hong Kong to your hometown. We started watching and I told my wife I know someone who lives there. YOU!

• Wisedancer's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Cairns is a great city and you have a great page.

• Dara5's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Really befun to eat at some of those places you mention

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Thanks for visiting,I am off to a few more soon.I love eating out.

• taigaa001's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Your pages should be viewed 10 times more! Unfortunately Japanese guidebook mentions so little about this place. I hope the awards go to members contributing to giving lesser-known place a great exposure. I don't like finding Paris pages given awards.

• Ann75's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Hello Dorrise,

What a great page you have of Cairns with so many great tips and beautiful photos. The beaches look so inviting! I would love to visit Australia some day. Thanks for sharing this beautiful page!

Ann

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Thanks for visiting my Cairns pages Ann,I am so pleased you would like to visit Cairns and I would love to meet and greet you.
      Cheers Dorrise

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Worthy of the prize...I may have rated these before so hope they count
    Marg

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Lovely pages Dorrise, looks as if you've got some good trails there. Some nasty "beasties" as well. Very interesting and well informed tips.

Hugs Paul

tropicrd

“experience all things in life”

Badges & Stats in Cairns