"Total eclipse in Cairns,QLD 14/11/2012" tropicrd's Profile
I watched this total eclipse from my backyard at 6.38am on 14th November 2012.
I was gob-smacked by this rare experience.
Even though it was a dull cloudy morning the clouds parted right at that moment in time to show off in all it's glory.
I really thought about ancient civilisations and how terrified they must have been,they must have thought it was the end of the world.
The birds went a bit crazy so I supposed they were confused too!
What a wonderful thing to see and I was busy taking as many pics as I possibly could to share with others..I have these on my things to do Cairns page also a video.
There are plenty of resting seats along the pathways around Centennial Lakes in Cairns to sit and get lost in the still beauty.
Ant and Deb..Cairns August 2012.
A lovely time was had and new friends made.
Flying the VT flag at Barron Falls Far North Queensland.
A travel log will be done as soon as possible.
These sculptures are called the Herd--by using your imagination they could be a herd of any creature--they are positioned at the main entrance to the swimming lagoon in Cairns and they can be seen going out to sea or coming in.I like to call them the Du-gong Herd which are known as gentle sea creatures,they are whale like mammals of tropical seas but some of our indigenous friends say they can be very dangerous.I believe them.
Bird watchers travel from around the world to hopefully get a glimpse of this little bird--we are so lucky as they nest under our patio.They are only found in Queensland Australia and mostly up in the north.
Hope you enjoy the pic.This is a male.
I love Indigenous artists and their story telling.
In Aboriginal mythology---Dreamtime:
the time in which the earth received its present form and in which the patterns and the cycle of life and nature were initiated; based on allegiance to a totemic ancestor.
I am so priviliged to have some indigineous artists as my friends and also had many indigineous clients during my career as their therapist/counsellor.
I also welcomed indigineous people into my art therapy groups as a way of healing and closing barriers through visual art.It can also be a strategy for surpassing culteral barriers to create communication.
I am known by the aboriginal community in Cairns as the 'Bat Lady' and was presented with a red bandanna as a sign of respect.
Bats are considered very special creatures that fly into the rainforests spreading the seeds of trees that can only survive in the forests.Without bats then the forests would die.I know I am very loved and respected by many and if I want to know anything about their home and culture then I have permission to ask. I am a very lucky person.If you want to know more about Roslyn and her artwork please check out my Cairns pages and my personal pages where I have shared her Platypus painting and story.
I have also written about 'Fire-Stick' burning on my Australia page.
I could not resist having a pic taken with the old and the new VT flags beside this amazing 'looks like lace' tree in the famous Daintree Rainforest in Far North QLD,Australia.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Quezon City Hotels
- Makati Hotels
- Subic Hotels
- Boracay Island Hotels
- Laoag City Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Munnar Hotels
- Bacolod City Hotels
- Grand Cayman Hotels
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
- Bacolod City
- Baclaran Hotels
- Tai Po Hotels
- Laoag City
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
- La Spezia
- Prague Hotels
- Puerto Rico
- Bradford Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 228 Reviews
- 1,107 Photos
- 9 Countries
- 23 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on jayjayc's profile page
- tropicrd and jayjayc are now friends.
- Commented on the England travel guide
updated their Profile Page "Total eclipse in Cairns,QLD 14/11/2012"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Total eclipse in Cairns,QLD 14/11/2012"
- Uploaded a Video to Cairns
- Wrote a Review Once in a life time total eclipse 11/14/2012 in Cairns Things to Do
- created a Eumundi Travel Page "Eumundi,Sunshine Coast,QLD."
VideosSee All Videos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns Intro, 123 reviews, 461 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Tasmania Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 9 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos
- Mareeba Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos
- Australia Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Tribulation Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos
- Gordonvale Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Mooloolaba Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22161 Reviews - 53866 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30893 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23058 Reviews - 47256 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17013 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1908 Reviews - 4459 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7630 Reviews - 19467 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos