"Total eclipse in Cairns,QLD 14/11/2012" tropicrd's Profile
I watched this total eclipse from my backyard at 6.38am on 14th November 2012.
I was gob-smacked by this rare experience.
Even though it was a dull cloudy morning the clouds parted right at that moment in time to show off in all it's glory.
I really thought about ancient civilisations and how terrified they must have been,they must have thought it was the end of the world.
The birds went a bit crazy so I supposed they were confused too!
What a wonderful thing to see and I was busy taking as many pics as I possibly could to share with others..I have these on my things to do Cairns page also a video.
There are plenty of resting seats along the pathways around Centennial Lakes in Cairns to sit and get lost in the still beauty.
Ant and Deb..Cairns August 2012.
A lovely time was had and new friends made.
Flying the VT flag at Barron Falls Far North Queensland.
A travel log will be done as soon as possible.
These sculptures are called the Herd--by using your imagination they could be a herd of any creature--they are positioned at the main entrance to the swimming lagoon in Cairns and they can be seen going out to sea or coming in.I like to call them the Du-gong Herd which are known as gentle sea creatures,they are whale like mammals of tropical seas but some of our indigenous friends say they can be very dangerous.I believe them.
Bird watchers travel from around the world to hopefully get a glimpse of this little bird--we are so lucky as they nest under our patio.They are only found in Queensland Australia and mostly up in the north.
Hope you enjoy the pic.This is a male.
I love Indigenous artists and their story telling.
In Aboriginal mythology---Dreamtime:
the time in which the earth received its present form and in which the patterns and the cycle of life and nature were initiated; based on allegiance to a totemic ancestor.
I am so priviliged to have some indigineous artists as my friends and also had many indigineous clients during my career as their therapist/counsellor.
I also welcomed indigineous people into my art therapy groups as a way of healing and closing barriers through visual art.It can also be a strategy for surpassing culteral barriers to create communication.
I am known by the aboriginal community in Cairns as the 'Bat Lady' and was presented with a red bandanna as a sign of respect.
Bats are considered very special creatures that fly into the rainforests spreading the seeds of trees that can only survive in the forests.Without bats then the forests would die.I know I am very loved and respected by many and if I want to know anything about their home and culture then I have permission to ask. I am a very lucky person.If you want to know more about Roslyn and her artwork please check out my Cairns pages and my personal pages where I have shared her Platypus painting and story.
I have also written about 'Fire-Stick' burning on my Australia page.
I could not resist having a pic taken with the old and the new VT flags beside this amazing 'looks like lace' tree in the famous Daintree Rainforest in Far North QLD,Australia.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 260 Reviews
- 1,383 Photos
- 9 Countries
- 29 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on MissBianca's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Country,Heritage,Wilderness.6 night Tag A Long road trip"
- tropicrd and teevee are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Fairyland in Kuranda about Kuranda in Cairns Things to Do
- Commented on the Shoes, Florence travel guide
created their Personal Page "Mini VT meet Oct 19th 2013"
- created a Corrigin Travel Page "Corrigin a great place to visit."
- Uploaded a Video to Albany
PhotosSee All Photos (1383)
VideosSee All Videos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns Intro, 126 reviews, 475 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 13 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Tasmania Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albany Intro, 8 reviews, 44 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 9 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos
- Mareeba Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos
- Australia Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Queensland Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Tribulation Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos