"In Hassan's Backyard" Hassan by y2ketan2007
Hassan Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 33 photos
About 90KM from Hassan is the Jain heritage town of Sravanabelgola.The monolith of the first Jain Tirthankar ( There are 24 Tirthankars in all ) Gomateshwar / Bahubali is awesome. It stands 57 feet tall and was built in 983 AD. You will have to climb 600 steps to reach the hill top where the statue is placed in a temple.
A tiny little town in Karnataka which is an important Jain pilgrim centre. The important 'Mahamastakabhishekha' is held every twelve years. A grand sacred bath is given to the statue from it's forehead with sacred water,milk,ghee,curd, flowers and silver and gold coins. The next event is due in 2018.
y2ketan2007's Related Pages
Hassan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A prominent Jain pelgrim centre"
- "Sravanbelagola is 51 km southeast of Hassan"
- "Hassan & Shravanabelagola"
- "In Hassan's Backyard"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hassan
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Hassan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hassan
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bijapur Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udagamandalam Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
- State of Kerala Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Salzburg Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Linz Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ellora Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos
- New York City Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanniyakumari Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos