"Britain's 0ldest Capital City" Thetford by arturowan
Thetford Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 28 photos
Thetford was the neolithic capital of Britain - & for a simple reason - its sandy soil is easily tilled, so ancient man was able to farm it with only rudimentary tools. Even so, stone age farmers had a precarious life, because whenever when the wind blows, as it often does, bone-chilling & unchecked from the flat coastland, the topsoil literally scatters for miles. An unfortunate effect of this natural erosion, has been that little archeological evidence remains of these early sttlers, & though a Viking style burial mound was constructed at Blood Hill, today it's as flat as its surroundings. The obvious remains of stone age man in this region, will pass many by, but it's reflected in the extent of heathland in the area, because heath is in fact, despite its protected status, not 'natural', but the fallow remnant of what was once woodland, before the ancient farmers practised 'slash & burn' agriculture. The Brecks are these remnants of once sandy cropland, now grassed over, & returning to woodland, if not managed by the full-time conservation activity throughout Norfolk.
Much as Thetford town appeals to me, its real attraction will always be its magnificent forest. There is nowhere else I know where a short trip along the riverbank, takes the traveller away from the main road flyovers, & within a matter of minutes, sets you in such a dramatically different landscape. Thetford forest is vast, & it's easy to become disoriented, once within, yet there are 3 main roads running through it, & the explorer is never more than a mile from a way out. Thetford Forest is home to 3 species of deer - the tiny Muntjac; Bambi-like Fallow; & the majestic Red. It's possible to see all species in a single visit, but sometimes, the vastness of the forest swallows up its wildlife, & there are no sightings, but I suspect that the deer have seen you, from the seclusion of its shadows...
- Pros:Not 'tarted-up' like many UK towns; the riverside walks, & of course, the great forest...
- Cons:Confusingly signposted; NO bus station; & blighted by the A11
- In a nutshell:A proper English town, that still hasn't been ruined by motorists & so-called 'developers'...
Thetford town is the central location for any visitor to the region who wants to pursue an interest in the classic... more travel advice
As with most town centres in UK - Thetford has a recommended entry/exit route that is signposted as part of the National... more travel advice
arturowan's Related Pages
Thetford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Britain's 0ldest Capital City"
- "Thetford and surrounding area."
- "Breck Heart"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thetford
- Hotels in Thetford
- Transportation in Thetford
- Restaurants in Thetford
- Shopping in Thetford
- Warnings and Dangers in Thetford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thetford
- 15 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Thetford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thetford
Photos in ThetfordSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa Intro, 72 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ukraine Intro, 31 reviews, 89 photos
- Walton-on-the-Naze 14 reviews, 45 photos
- Clacton-on-Sea Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos
- Varna Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos
- Mistley 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Harwich Intro, 13 reviews, 10 photos
- Dedham 7 reviews, 16 photos
- Kiev 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frinton-on-Sea 12 reviews, 9 photos