"Amsterdam" Amsterdam by darkjedi
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,465 reviews and 22,000 photos
I have been to Amsterdam a couple of times now and my impressions of the ciy get better with each visit. Its a pretty to look at place with many many things to see and do. An easy transport system with clean trams that will take you almost anywhere at a good cost. (Easy new electronic contactless card tickets to replace the old fiddly strippenkarts).
Schipol is a large airport and very spread out. If your changing planes or just heading for the railway expect to walk a long way taking at least 20 minutes and thats not strolling. The railway ticket office is found by following large yellow signs and is easy to find. Yellow machines nearby will sell you tickets with a card (don't be expecting UK credit and debit cards to work) so best just join the queue. All airport employees speak English too. Travel down the escalators to reach the platforms. Destinations are well signed above each platform. and trains run frequently, every half hour to most destinations such as Amsterdam, Den Haag, Rotterdam etc. If you have a double decked Bison train, make sure you get a upper deck seat for better views.
Centraal Station is a large station with many platforms and pretty much every facility you could want including left luggare lockers. A large underpass midway has two entrances, one into the city and one to the river ferries. Along its length are many places to buy food and drink to all tastes. All train departures are signposted at the base of the platform steps and on the platforms themselves. Tickets can be purchased at the city exit via clerk or machines (but not with UK debit and credit cards). No credit cards at the manned desks either so you'll be needing Euros. Grrrr.
- Pros:Everyone speaks English
- Cons:Gets a bit windy and wet sometimes
If you have been in one Madame Tussauds you may well have been in them all. Thats always assuming you can get in at all.... more travel advice
Once your through the door you'll begin your Heineken Experience with a brief history of the beer, learn what goes into... more travel advice
darkjedi's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 26 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Commented on one of darkjedi's Amsterdam travel pages
- Posted in Travel Wieliczka Forum "Re: Easy access to Salt Mine"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lindburgh "Dark Amsterdam" walking tour"
- Wrote a Review Wax on - wax off about Madame Tussaud's in Amsterdam Things to Do
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "Amsterdam"
- Uploaded a Video to Amsterdam
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (100)
Videos in AmsterdamSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Bologna Intro, 41 reviews, 153 photos
- Berlin Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos
- Oslo Intro, 33 reviews, 138 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 100 photos
- Pisa Intro, 27 reviews, 95 photos
- Venice Intro, 17 reviews, 85 photos
- Europe Intro, 24 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 23 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Marino Intro, 14 reviews, 59 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 20 reviews, 52 photos