"Liverpool" Liverpool by darkjedi
Liverpool Travel Guide: 1,282 reviews and 2,297 photos
European Capital of Culture 2008, Liverpool is a unique port city in North West England with a rich history and a promising future.
Liverpool is a city of migration and movement. The modern history of Liverpool begins with the building of the world's first dock in 1715. From this time onwards Liverpool's involvement with the slave trade grew dramatically; from 1760 onwards Liverpool became the dominant slave trade port. Maritime trade with America made Liverpool one of the world's wealthiest cities - indeed, at one point it was the second most important city in the British Empire behind London, with close to 1 million inhabitants. The city's architecture still reflects this period of wealth; there are many splendid buildings throughout the city, but especially on the famous waterfront with its Three Graces.
Liverpool is also a city of invention; the world's first passenger railway ran from here to Manchester in 1830, Diabetes was discovered here in 1776, the first ever trans-Atlantic telegram was carried out here in 1886, the world's first lifeboat service was created here in 1776 and the city is home top Europe's oldest Chinatown. The landmark Liver Building, as well as being one of the first buildings to use re-inforced concrete, also features the world's largest clock faces at 25ft in diameter.
The modern-day skyline is still dominated by Liverpool's historic landmarks; the Royal Liver Building, the two Cathedrals and the Port of Liverpool Building. It seems unlikely that many skyscrapers will be allowed to damage what is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The River Mersey has an incredibly rich and varied history and the ferry service itself is more than 850 years old. The... more travel advice
Largest two tier theatre in the country hosts touring productions, musicals and concerts. The Empire Theatre in... more travel advice
darkjedi's Related Pages
Liverpool Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Liverpool - European Capital of Culture 2008"
- "ACROSS THE UNIVERSE"
- "More Than The Beatles...."
- "Liverpool - a dream come true!"
- "Liverpool Revisited"
- "Beatles everywhere!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Liverpool
- Hotels in Liverpool
- Transportation in Liverpool
- Nightlife in Liverpool
- Restaurants in Liverpool
- Shopping in Liverpool
- Warnings and Dangers in Liverpool
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Liverpool
- 20 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Liverpool?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liverpool
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 41 reviews, 153 photos
- Berlin Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos
- Oslo Intro, 33 reviews, 138 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 100 photos
- Pisa Intro, 27 reviews, 95 photos
- Venice Intro, 17 reviews, 85 photos
- Europe Intro, 24 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 23 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Marino Intro, 14 reviews, 59 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 20 reviews, 52 photos