"William The Conquerer is here" Top 5 Page for this destination Caen by darkjedi
Caen Travel Guide: 142 reviews and 374 photos
Caen is served by the small port of Ouistreham, lying at the mouth of the Caen Canal where it meets the English Channel. A ferry service operates between Portsmouth in the United Kingdom and Caen/Ouistreham running both standard roll-on-roll-off car ferries and supercat fast ferries, with the latter making crossing from March to November. The ferry terminal is 15 km from Caen with a daytime shuttle bus service for foot passengers.
Caen is known for its historical buildings built during the reign of William the Conqueror, who was buried here, and for the Battle for Caen—heavy fighting that took place in and around Caen during the Battle of Normandy in 1944, destroying much of the town.
The actual church's construction lasted from early 13th to 16th centuries. The spire was destroyed in 1944, and has... more travel advice
Owner RFF / SNCF RFF / SNCF Exploitant Operator SNCF SNCF Services Corail Intercités : ( Paris Saint-Lazare ,... more travel advice
darkjedi's Related Pages
Caen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "William The Conquerer is here"
- "Caen, 'the battlefield'"
- "Caen in Normandy"
- "A Very Old City with a Modern Dress"
- "Caen -- Sword & Juno Beaches"
- "A Caened Taste of Western France"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caen
- Hotels in Caen
- Transportation in Caen
- Nightlife in Caen
- Restaurants in Caen
- Shopping in Caen
- Warnings and Dangers in Caen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caen
- 23 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Caen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 41 reviews, 153 photos
- Berlin Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos
- Oslo Intro, 33 reviews, 138 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 100 photos
- Pisa Intro, 27 reviews, 95 photos
- Venice Intro, 17 reviews, 85 photos
- Europe Intro, 24 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caen Intro, 23 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Marino Intro, 14 reviews, 59 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 20 reviews, 52 photos