"Home of the Wolves" Selawik by pippioftheeskimos

Selawik Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 10 photos

A River Runs Through It

The colors are so rich here year round. Winter is white and blue. Summer is green and blue. Fall is yellow and blue. We also have great sunrises and sunsets. Yes, the sun does set earlier and rise later during the darkest part of winter since we are just above the arctic circle. But since the twilight lasts for hours it doesn't seem so bad. At least not yet. They say that the darkness is cumulative over the years. Ask me ten years from now.

We have two grocery stores and three churches (including the one we are pastoring). We have a school, clinic, and post office. There are local family businesses like Q.T's video rental operated in the front rooms of a community clinic health aide.

There are no hotels or restaurants, but I can cook just about any cuisine so I don't miss that too much. I have learned to eat caribou stew and sheefish a little when it is offered, but I think I will always prefer vegetarian.

There are no cars in the village, everyone goes by snowmobile (snowgo) or four-wheeler (Honda). There is one motorcycle in the village. The younger kids ride bikes, but they seem to stop as soon as their parents will let them use something with a motor.

• Pros:It's beautiful, the people are friendly
  • Cons:It can be downright cold, society's troubles are obvious
  • In a nutshell:It's great loving a place I never thought I even wanted to see.
  • Intro Updated May 3, 2007

Comments

pippioftheeskimos' Related Pages

pippioftheeskimos Lives Here!

pippioftheeskimos

“Life's a journey, travel light. Bon voyage!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Selawik

Have you been to Selawik?

Latest Activity in Selawik