"Beauty in the eye of the beholder" Top 5 Page for this destination Knaresborough by Kaysta
Knaresborough Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 118 photos
Knaresborough is an historic market town and spa town in the borough of Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England.
The sites include, Knaresborough castle, Mother Shiptons Petriying Well, The House in The Rock, several Cave's and one chapel all dating from the middle ages.
Ursula Southeil born in 1488 and died in 1561, were better known as Mother Shipton. She was told to be a English Soothsayer and prophetess who is said to have made several of unusual predictions such as; Great plague of London, Spanish Armada and Great Fire of London.
People say it is a myth to believe such things and generally to of said others composed her prophecies after her death.
Mother Shipton were born in a cave in Knaresborough, Yorkshire, in a cave known as Mother Shipton's Cave. She were said to be hideously ugly and supposedly fathered by the Devil.
It was built in 1100 by Norman baron on the cliff above the River Nidd. The castle is now pretty much ruined. It comprised of two walled baileys set one behind the other, with the outer bailey on the town side and the inner bailey on the cliff side.
The enclosure wall was punctuated by solid towers along its length, and a pair, which you can still see today, formed the main gate. At the junction between the inner and outer baileys.
On the north side of the castle stood a tall five-sided keep, the eastern parts of which has been pulled down.
- Pros:The views, friendly people, things to see and do
- Cons:Not enough parking, can be expensive to activities
- In a nutshell:More than a pretty view
A great restaurant that i have been going to since i was a child. It has a restaurant where you can sit and eat, and... more travel advice
It was built in 1100 by Norman baron on the cliff above the River Nidd. The castle is now pretty much ruined. It... more travel advice
Kaysta's Related Pages
Knaresborough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not just Mother Shipton"
- "On the way to Yorkshire Dales"
- "Beauty in the eye of the beholder"
- "Underrated Yorkshire destination"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Knaresborough
- Transportation in Knaresborough
- Restaurants in Knaresborough
- Warnings and Dangers in Knaresborough
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Knaresborough
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Knaresborough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Knaresborough
Photos in KnaresboroughSee All Photos (12)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 25 reviews, 55 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos
- Cairo Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Luxor Intro, 7 reviews, 21 photos
- Chester Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
Latest Knaresborough hotel reviews
- The General Tarleton
- 114 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013