"Playing Football in Wales" Wales by giampiero6

Wales Travel Guide: 4,834 reviews and 15,472 photos

As a young whippersnapper, I played on a US Youth National Soccer Selection that played in the UK. Orr first stop on the trip was to play the Wales School National Team. The game took place in the National Stadium at Wrexham, where on our approach to the field, we were greeting by fenced in fans screaming at us and threatening to kill us. :-) Standard stuff for the spirited competition. A far cry from the genteel and soccer mom type culture of soccer that prevails in the US.hahaha. Anyway, we won the game on the day, and I scored a goal. I jumped up and down so much that everything is a gigantic blur. I dont remember anything, except my coach saying that people had said they had never seen anyone jump up and down so much. hahaha. Well that and at the post game dinner, the glum faces of the Welsh kids who had been beaten by of all things...Americans. I kind of felt sorry for them. I would love to return to Wales and see the sights, as a team bus on the way to games is probably not the best way to see a place.

• Last visit to Wales: May 1984
  • Intro Updated Jul 30, 2011

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Roland the Rat Rocks...I love it when I go to visit my dad and have a pint down the road from his house, all the locals babling on in Welsh, except for the sheep shearing season when a few Kiwis come over to work. ddyhea buchedda 'r Cymraeg

• Bif75's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 7:52 AM

Thanks for your reply, shame you don't leave the centre circle much now, sounds like you don't get the time to play a full 90 mins though!! I'll see if I can find some old footy pics for you to see, I'm sure we had glory days once or twice!!!?

• Sep 5, 2005 at 5:18 PM

Nice legs! :)

• Feb 5, 2005 at 10:29 PM

Someone's been lying to you giampiero, The national stadium isn't in Wrexham.

• scotlandscotour's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2004 at 8:35 AM

I was possibly one of those glum faced youth - times have changed, thankfully in my case, not so in Welsh football ;-)

• jenniferhen's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2004 at 8:52 PM

You should try Rolllin up the Rrrrrrimmmm...ahhh its a Canadian thing...hehe

• demonia's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2002 at 7:14 PM

Oh, Giammmmpierrrro ;)

• aadil's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2002 at 8:45 AM

Well, the Welsh soldiers used it to a great advantage in the wars where no one understood their Welsh tongue!!! No need for secret code language!!!

giampiero6

“Say hi to Amelia Charlotte. She's happy, healthy, full of personality and growing like a weed!”

Badges & Stats in Wales