"Swingin Desert Hipsters Baby!" Desert Hot Springs by giampiero6
Desert Hot Springs Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 35 photos
Desert Hot Springs is a ramshackle high desert town. For all of its "fame" as a hot spring resort spot, the town is a dreary, dusty, bleached out mess. Part un-picturesque desert squalor and part southern california mini mall/chain store uniformity.
The town is dominated by over 40 motel/spa/resorts ranging from the absolutely ramshackle and dingy to the boring stucco apartment complex looking Korean spas to the supposedly luxury resorts.
The large aquifer under desert hot springs provides hot, mineral rich, wonderful water and at first glance is seems to be underutilized.
HOWEVER. A few of the old "route 66" type motels are being renovated and turned into cool, hip, retro 50's jewels. These look so so on the outside and just a little fresh paint and interesting details belie their cool, sleek and hip interiors.
Look around and if you notice something that catches your eye, take a look inside. Chances are you might find some surprising oases.
- Pros:Desert Blue Sky, Sunshine, Hot springs, near Joshua Tree
- Cons:A little run down and eerie depending on where you are
- In a nutshell:Don't come for the culture, come for the sunshine and hotsprings
The Lido Palms is one of the handful of really nice - retro swank motels that have been refurbished in Desert Hots... more travel advice
The Hope Spa. Right next door to the Emerald Springs Resort was the Hope Spa which was a little nicer, and a little... more travel advice
giampiero6's Related Pages
Desert Hot Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Desert Hot Springs...Al Capone's hideaway?"
- "Budget Golf - Luxury Condo"
- "Swingin Desert Hipsters Baby!"
- "Something Different"
- "Desert Hot Springs"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Desert Hot Springs
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Desert Hot Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Desert Hot Springs
Photos in Desert Hot SpringsSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Carisolo Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Calasetta Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Monument Valley State Park Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kyoto Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nevada Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Goosenecks State Park Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue