"Complex Japan" Japan by giampiero6

Japan Travel Guide: 20,760 reviews and 59,026 photos

I made documentaries for NHK (Japans' Main TV Broadcaster) for 5 years, and so was a little familiar with Japanese culture even though I was based in Los Angeles. During my work time, I have never gone to Japan, but was immersed in the expat culture here. While I respected the work ethic, and group dynamics I witnessed, I didn't feel I had a great affinity for things Japanese. When I had the opportunity to visit Japan, I wasn't sure if it would be fun and interesting, or somewhat staid and stifling. I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised by things things we saw and did.

I visited Japan to attend the wedding of my good friend. Beside attending the wedding, I also visited Kyoto, Hakone hot springs, and Tokyo.

I recommend my local customs tips for Japan and also my Kyoto , Tokyo and Hakone pages.

The thing I love best about Japan, is that while I am only a fair dancer in the US, I am the greatest dancer in all of Japan !

• In a nutshell:A pleasant surprise!
  • Last visit to Japan: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 21, 2011

• CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2011 at 11:11 AM

I'm hoping to visit here in a few years.

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM

anyone can get beer & cigarettes in vending machines til the y2K yet now rule is no liquor or tobacco if you're not 20 yet & you can't buy those stuff in "proper" establishments, but you can still buy beer anywhere, but they are strict about D.U.I.

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Great tips! I will remember to pack socks without holes and tell son to not stick the chop sticks into his food (he likes to do that) :-)

• marvelous_girl's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2010 at 8:51 AM

loved ur Japan traveloge. :->

• we2364's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM

GM, do you also know that many Japanese male dancers whom come to US become one of the best as well? It's probably different way of appreciation. I like the new site, but I have one question...

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2008 at 6:07 AM

Lovely pages on Japan. I have not yet been there( too involved with India) but would love to visit there, especially in cherry-blossom time. Thanks.(Great tips,but a little"too much info" regarding the earwax!!)

• longhairedguy's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 9:40 PM

I miss the Royal milk tea! If in Tokyo area, check out the ones in Shinjuku area, near the stations and bar areas! there are thousands of em! I heard there is one vending machine for every 11 persons in Tokyo! LOL

• Apr 18, 2008 at 8:35 PM

Reminded me of Horn & Hardart's in Philly and New York, except those were "automats" and all indoors, not on the street. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_&...

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2008 at 6:23 AM

Enjoyed my Japan trip very much and found much as you did that they do appreciate and accept one's attempts to be polite in their own manner as well as in our own ways. Loved the toilet note. Didn't have the courage to do the same :-)

• carenrich's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2008 at 10:41 AM

I love Japan! My son studied Japanese in Tokyo and got me hooked on the culture. My Canadian friend owns a geisha bar in Kyoto. I took students to Japan last year. Know anything about Sacramento (convention-Feb.28) or Kauai ( Wedding-June 22,2008)?

giampiero6

“Say hi to Amelia Charlotte. She's happy, healthy, full of personality and growing like a weed!”

Badges & Stats in Japan