"Carisolo, Dolomiti Di Brenta" Carisolo by giampiero6

Carisolo Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 52 photos

Carisolo is a magnificent little jewel at the foot of the Dolomiti di Brenta in the Val Rendena. It's a small town of about 600 souls and lies just below the Adamello glacier and near the powerful and amazing waterfall Cascata Nardis in the Parco Naturale del Adamello Brenta. It is approximately 15 minutes to Madonna di Campiglio one of Europe's finest ski areas and is adjacent to Pinzolo, one of the Italian Alps nicest spots. Carisolo is less well known than either of these 2 spots and that's the way I like it.

This is where my roots are and where I spent most of my summers growing up. Hiking, picking mushrooms, traipsing through forests and in general living the Alpine and pastoral life of times gone by.

When I was in 7th grade in Kansas, I had a history test that asked you to name 3 countries which have the Alps in them. I said Italy, Austria, and Switzerland. When I got the test back, that question was marked 'Incorrect', because the teacher said, the Alps were not in Italy. Hmmm thought I... I wonder where my Dad is from and I wonder where I had been spending the summer all these years?

Cavria Our Beloved Retreat

This is Cavria which was the place where ancestors traditionally took their herds to high pasture in the summer. The old granite block houses and stalls were built in the 1890's and I'm glad to say that they have been rebuilt in the last years. From them you can see the Dolomiti di Brenta glowing pink in the sunset, you can see all of the Val Rendena, Madonna di Campiglio. With lush grass, fresh pine forests, peace and silence, there is no better place on earth to get away from it all. I plan on spending a lot more time here again soon! Our symbol for Cavria is a brown bear, an animal that traditionally roamed these parts. Recently bears have been reintroduced to the area and a couple might be roaming around.

Our Place in Carisolo Town

Here's a view from the backyard in town. After retiring, my grandfather kept a few chickens in here. As a child, I was delighted by trying to catch the elusive devils and when I did I held on to them very tightly, which always caused my hilarious grandfather to say (in reference to the old Charmin commercials), "Please don squeese da shickens" :-)

• In a nutshell:A Beautiful Alpine Paradise.
  • Last visit to Carisolo: Jan 2011
  • Intro Updated Aug 4, 2011

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2012 at 5:19 PM

YOur photos are quite sensational and it was really lovely to read about the places where you spent much of your childhood. Around Tucket and in the Alps the scenery is beautiful, a little bit Swiss looking. Carisolo is just stunning!

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Looks heavenly. Beautiful country and gorgeous photos.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2011 at 2:39 PM

The North of Italy is really something ,I wonder when was the last time you managed to get back here.Thanks for the glimpse G,Ive not been through Carisolo but kind of close..some GREAT memories from up here.. and like you mostly revolving around food!@

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Coming through the Dolomites by train at sunrise is one of my abiding travel memories, the light on the mountains was pure magic. Your flower is a scabious - pincushion flower. Lovely page - love the mix of family and travel.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Hello, Giampiero! I enjoyed your breathtaking views of the mountains... Thanks!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Ciao G, The Dolomites remind me of the Grand Tetons. What great memories for you of you and your Dad. Grazie per la condivisione, il mio amico. TG

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2009 at 5:31 AM

Lovely page Giampiero! Those hermits sound similar to the Sadhus in India- The mountains look beautiful. Good pics & tips

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Just the sort of destination that gets me enticed! - got to the Trento part of the Dolomites but need to get back to Cortina and more of Trentino - excellent to read yr family and childhood connectiions here too thanks.

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Excellent info and I loved the pics. I may be in this general area this summer with a group and will refer to your sage advice and wisdom of the area. :-) Ann, TTS

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2008 at 5:35 AM

Oh... I need to get a bell for my cows! That would make me feel my little 10 ft hills are 10,000 ft alpine mountains! LOVE your family home! Now... about those keys! Hmmm?!?!?

giampiero6

“Say hi to Amelia Charlotte. She's happy, healthy, full of personality and growing like a weed!”

Badges & Stats in Carisolo

Have you been to Carisolo?

Latest Activity in Carisolo