"Heart of Independant Sardinia" Orgosolo by giampiero6
Orgosolo Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 38 photos
In Sardinian: 'It's time to eradicate these people from the Earth; their abuse of the land, their misuse of the land, their despotism."
Orgosolo is the heart land of a fiercely independant Sardinia. This is the Sardinia of Padre Padrone of a harsh, insular, past always struglling against the oppression of outside forces. The flag you see in the back is the flag of Sardinia; I Quattro Mori (the 4 moors) The symbol is unclear, but in some accounts it's origin is Catalan and symbolizes 4 Moorish invaders blind folded for execution.
This sprit lives on in the heart of Sardinia. Not the execution of course, but the sense of always having to repel attack. Sardinia has an amazing coastline all around, but traditional Sardinian culture lives primarily in land and especially in the mountains where Sardinians have always retreated from invaders to fight guerilla wars. In many ways, Sardinia has never been really controlled and occupied. It is now in theory a semi-self governing autonomous region of Italy. And even as late as the 70's and 80's this part of Sardinia harbored outlaws and bandits. A famous film Banditi di Orgosolo was made here in which the pastori (shepherds) of Orgosolo were the actors.
Connecting their struggle to another:
When the first missionaries arrived, we had the land and they had the bible. So we closed out eyes and prayed with them. When we open them, we had the bible in our hands and they had the land. --Desmond Tutu Archbishop of South Africa
If you go to Orgosolo, you definitely have the feeling that you are an outsider..even though on the surface..you might not notice it you are light years away from the jet set playgrouonds of the Costa Smeralda.
- Pros:Real pastoral and independant tradition of the Sardinian Mountains
- Cons:Inward looking, clanish.
- In a nutshell:Outlaw, Down Home Sardinia..for good and for bad.
giampiero6's Related Pages
Orgosolo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heart of Independant Sardinia"
- "ORGOSOLO CENTER OF SARDEGNA"
- "The magic of Orgosolo"
- "Orgosolo: c`mon, no bandits any more..."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Orgosolo
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Orgosolo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orgosolo
Photos in OrgosoloSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Calasetta 10 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 18 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Carisolo Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Monument Valley State Park Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nevada Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tirana Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- Navajo National Monument Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos