"Here comes the sun..." CesVT's Profile

... dont you just feel like a born again human? :)
I'm Cécile, from Paris, France

Although, as most Parisians, I was not born here but in Grenoble, in the Alps... (Photos of the French Alps) I moved to Paris aged 17 for my studies... which I flunked (or, more precisely, gave up)... Apart from a couple of months in Germany both in 1987 and 1990, a couple of months in the States and Canada in 1989, a few months back in Grenoble in 1990 and about 4 months in Ireland in 1991, I've been living in Paris ever since... I love Paris, but mostly when I have time on my hands and can enjoy it as a tourist... which I haven't done in a while... I'm not sure I want to live here forever, though... May be that thing about turning 40: the things you haven't done (like actually living abroad), the quality of life (getting tired of the commuting, the crowd, the noise, the tiny apartment), this feeling that it's 'now or never'...
Well, until I 'find my way' (the new one), I can still enjoy the cafés, the bookstores and the concerts...
And my passion: traveling!

Love of traveling

My first glimpse of another country was... Italy! I was 7 but can still remember the smells (the cologne-scented soap in my first hotel room, the sticky fig 'milk' from the tree by the bungalow...), the disorientation climbing up the tower in Pisa and the old lady at the souvenir stand who offered me a silver bracelet, the fascination with Pompei and the volcano, the largest pizzas in the world... and rushing back home because of a cholera epidemic! Then my parents took us to Spain, the Riviera, Barcelona, Roman ruins... My next trips were as a teenager - I was sent to England twice to study English, then Wales... I think that's when I caught the 'bug'!! Later on, I was sent to Germany a couple of times (before actually working there a couple of summers in my twenties)...
And then it went on... ;-)

Love of nature

As kids, my brother Bruno and I got to spend a lot of time outdoors... My parents had built a small cabin in a tiny remote hamlet in the Alps, about an hour's drive from Grenoble... We spent week-ends and holidays there, surrounded by mountains... and very few humans! (French Alps)
Also, in the summer, we'd often get to spend time with our family in Burgundy, both in the Saône-et-Loire and the Nièvre departments - real rural areas! (BurgundyTourism)
So we both ended up with a passion for nature... Unfortunately, my brother 'left us' in 2001, and he never got to realizing his dreams of going to Scotland and Ireland... Maybe I can enjoy it for both of us, and I'm sure he would have loved other destinations I've been to or I'm dreaming of! :-)

Other passion 1: reading

Reading is a family disease! From as far as I can remember, I can see my grand-parents reading, my parents reading, my brother reading, my own books, and the thrill of going to the old little bazar in our mountain village (a few miles from the hamlet!) where they had EVERYTHING, kids books included, the newspaper & magazine store by our first appartment, the library when I was a teenager, the Latin Quarter bookstores as a student, and, these days, either the Fnac in La Défense, the nice brand new bookstore round the corner here in the 11th arrondissement, WH Smith near la Concorde or... the Internet! Not to mention all the wonderful places you 'bump into' around the world - I sent myself a case of books from Alaska, if it can give you an idea... ;-)
Here, the cover of L'Usage du Monde - The Way of the World -, the book Swiss writer Nicolas Bouvier is most famous for... (Wikipedia page on Bouvier with quotes and links) A jewel of a writer, so full of images, depth, humour and sensitivity, here retracing the trip he took with a friend in 1953, driving a small Fiat all the way from Geneva to Afghanistan... (Telegraph Book Review)

Other passion 2: photography

Well, I'm not sure I should mention this one, as my passivity and laziness don't allow for much progress in this area... Always been interested in images, but I never really make the effort, never really try, except for the occasional course... As in most other areas, I like to keep things simple and can't take too much technique... probably because I'm so tired already just being a complicated person, I hear some say (other voices saying 'Yeah, you're a woman' ---> you're out!)... ;-)
Maybe I just don't have the patience... Still, I'd like to take the time again-let's see if I eventually do!
Of course children are always fun to observe - Here you have Jade, left, the daughter of a Brazilian friend married to a Frenchman, and a little friend of hers, herself half-Corean!

Other passion 3: music

I LOVE music and going to concerts! My tastes are pretty eclectic and revolve around rock, the blues, soul, and also 'old time' jazz (NOT free jazz!)... Last year's concerts have included (besides a few shows at clubs to see 'local' bands and French harmonicists): Springsteen , Joe Bonamassa, Bjorn Berge, The Presidents of the USA, Buddy Guy, The Stray Cats, Bryan Adams, Flogging Molly...

Other passion 4: animal welfare

I have been concerned with the environment all my life - probably for the same reasons I inherited a passion for nature in the first place... I'm also one of those people who think humans are animals just like 'everybody else', and that animals are sensitive beings we have a way of mistreating I really don't care for...
So, a year ago, after many years of thinking about it regularly and not taking the step, and after one horrifying video too many, I simply decided that I now was a vegetarian! My ideal would be to be vegan, but I've been finding it pretty hard, especially as soon as I have to eat out...

Et pour les Terriens français, un site porteur d'espoir et d'action à consulter, celui de COLIBRIS, MOUVEMENT POUR LA TERRE ET L'HUMANISME:
Colibris

• Intro Updated Apr 27, 2010

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Happy New Year 2014!!!

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Un joyeux anniversaire à ma Parisienne préférée!! J'ai l'honneur de t'annoncer que tu partages désormais ta fête avec la toute nouvelle pouliche née au Ranch du Portage hier à Gaspé!

May 27, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Bonjour, ma Québécoise préférée aussi ! ;) J'espère que tu vas bien - toujours aussi active, à ce qu'il me semble... et j'ai cru entendre parler du Yukon !!! Aaaah, tu lui diras bonjour de ma part, dis ?
      En tout cas, merci pour tes bons voeux ! :) Tu transmettras les miens à mon amie la pouliche - j'ai un postérieur digne de son espèce, comme quoi !! ;)

• Jefie's Profile Photo
      May 28, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Oui, je commence à retrouver la forme, ça fait du bien! Donne-moi ta nouvelle adresse si tu veux une carte postale du Yukon :)

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Cecile, happy birthday, I hope you had a wonderful day

May 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Thanks a lot, Val ! It was a nice, quiet day... :)

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Happy Birthday, have a good one.

May 26, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Thanks, Maynard! :) You're almost there too! :)

• rosata's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday, Cecile!

May 26, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Thank you Rosata!! :) Have a great sunday yourself! :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM

bon te lire mon amie.. donc on est sur le printemps ou pas ? mdr!!!

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Ca y est, vous aussi vous avez pu faire un petit coucou au soleil ? Ici, c'était l'été aujourd'hui, mais on en revient au printemps demain !

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

ho ho ho le même ici mais je serai à Bucarest tout la semaine prochaine!

• RUMISABUNCU's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2013 at 2:10 AM

I enjoyed travel your Vt pages. I love to be in France. I lived in Avignon for a research study. South of France has very nice Landscape. Warm greetings from sunny Antalya,TURKEY.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:19 AM

Hi, Rumi, & thanks ! Yes, the South of France is really picturesque-I don't know Turkey myself, but I've heard a lot of good about it! :-)

• RUMISABUNCU's Profile Photo
      Feb 20, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Antalya and around so similar about general landscape of south of France, especially Kemer, Kaş and Kekova are very nice and natural places. Have a nice travel to you!

• hannette's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Hi,
    quelle jolie première photo! (avec la fenêtre) .... les couleurs douces, la lumière, la composition, ...

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:17 AM

NB: ta propre photo est très dynamique ! ;-)

• hannette's Profile Photo
      Feb 18, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Oui, certe ça rende bien l' ambiance du sud de la France! ... Ma propre photo est faite dans un moment très spontané chez moi en Belgique pendant l' été...

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I love your little house in the mountains :-) We have those, but at the beach. We call them a "bach", it refers to settlers' "bachelors' huts" that were transplanted to the beach after the country was developed (and no longer needed for armies of single men clearing land etc). Many families used them as a beach holiday home. Ours is larger, but still a "bach".

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Hi Pam, how interesting, I didn't know about this "bach" thing! :-) Which points to the fact that I definitely should visit NZ, even though I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford it... Our "little house in the mountains" was unfortunately sold when I was 10-I'm not sure I ever recovered... We went back to see it with my parents a couple of years ago, still as enchanting as it used to be, but rather melancholy, as the "new" proprietor had recently died and his widow had had to leave for a nearby village (closer to facilities), so it was all overgrown, etc. They used to call it their "little paradise"...

• Jan 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM

hi,,,,,wanna frendship

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
CesVT's Profile Photo

CesVT

“'Like water, the world traverses you, and for a while, lends you its colours', Nicolas Bouvier”

Real Name