"Atlantic Paradise" Lajes by mbgt

Lajes Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 3 photos

August 2004

The warm air that lifts your already high spirits is only bettered by the warm welcome of these beautiful Azorean people as you arrive at Horta airport on Faial.The hub hub of the small airport arrivals lounge is a pleasure.
The smiling face of the cab driver as he ushers you into the cab with three or four complete strangers breaks the ice of a meeting that you are cajoled into in such a laid back fashion.Before you know it, you and your new found travelling companions are on your way to Horta harbour to catch the ferry to Pico.
The stay at the aldeia de fonte on Pico was made more memorable by the warmth of all the staff and the paradisical setting.
'I swam with dolphins, I saw whales and I climbed Pico and spent the night at the summit witnessing the most exqusite sunrise in the morning from its' peak.

On going back.

I just had to return and it had not been a dream.The welcome was warmer and the people were as gentle and inviting as on my previous visit.
I stayed at the same hotel and was remembered by all who I had previously met, those I met on this trip touched my soul as if they themselves were angels sent from above.
I swam with dolphins and I saw whales, no words can really do justice to the place or its inhabitants and visitors.
'Saddle up Elvis, looks like we got customers'

Once more into paradise

May 2006 I went back to the Azores and stayed on Faial & San Miguel.
I chartered a zodiac from Norberto Diver which came with a skipper and a marine biologist. An amazing few days on Faial which culminated in following sei whales for hours and being treated to a sumptuos meal and wine tasting at the home of our Vigia.
Watch this space.... 'I shall be back'.

• Pros:Fun, adventure & sophistication on land and sea.
  • Cons:The whales move on.
  • In a nutshell:So much more than just a holiday.
  • Last visit to Lajes: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 4, 2007

Comments

mbgt's Related Pages

mbgt

“You just put one foot in front of the other and...next thing you know it's an adventure”

Ranked Member