"Merzouga" Merzouga by earthflyer

Merzouga Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 625 photos

Merzouga
For anyone who has never seen the desert before, the sand dunes around Merzouga are well and truly awesome sight to see. Spending one night here to see the sunset and sunrise was quite a magical experience, never on all my travels to date have I been anywhere and seen the whole universe with billions or bright stars just sitting on top of the sand dunes. With all the destinations I have been to in Morocco so far the sand dunes of Merzouga is number 1 on my list, a big must do for any one who goes to Morocco.

When first arriving to Merzouga there is not a lot to see just a flat plain with the odd tree standing there, then rising slowly the sand dunes suddenly appear out of nowhere and can reach upto 160m high and very impressive to see. Around the edge of the sand dunes there are place to stay for the night but the real experience is to take a camel ride into the dunes.

The ride only takes about 2 hours but my camel didn't like me and decided to stop and throw me off but I was quite happy to walk the rest of the way as I was having trouble getting good photo shots of the sunset because I was bouncing around on the camel to much. After 2 hours we arrived at an auberge campsite where it seems everyone comes to for the night but is a good place to meet other tourists and enjoy the night around the camp fire eating local Tanjines and watching berber song and dance. Don't expect a western style campsite here you will stay in a traditional Moroccan tent. The next morning we all wake up for the sunrise but it was the colour of the sand that was impressive with all the kinds or reds you could think of, again I decided to walk out of the sand dunes to get the good photo shots.

More Destinations In Morocco

BERKANE
Zegzel Gorge

• Last visit to Merzouga: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2011

Comments

earthflyer

“You only get one crack at life, so make the most of it and enjoy it.”

Badges & Stats in Merzouga

Have you been to Merzouga?

Latest Activity in Merzouga