"Notes about Houston, a place I have called home" Houston by gdilieto

Houston Travel Guide: 1,263 reviews and 2,167 photos

An Italian in the Deep Heart of Texas

Thanks for visiting my Houston page! Don't forget to leave your footprint!

Go to My Home Page

2009-12-28: I have lived in Houston for few years at two different times in the 2000s and, now that I am gone, I still enjoy calling Houston home. My affection is due to a combination of factors, mainly to the people that I met but also to the city itself. Houston is a multicultural, international city that welcomes foreigners basically because everyone here is a foreigner. Second, Houston is close to Mexico and not too far from Latin America. There are times when, as a foreigner, you need some fresh air and what better than the most charming country and the most intriguing continent in the world? I keep great memory of my time in Houston, I regularly travel back for work and in my mind sooner or later I will be back.

**************************

DISCLAIMER: This page is written by a born-and-raised Italian thrown by accident into the deep heart of Texas ... Consider the deformed perspective in reading my comments.

Few Things I Like About Houston

1.- My next door neighbors are from Brazil, Australia, Spain and Nigeria.
2.- People don't find you weird if you speak with an accent.
3.- I can have an American breakfast, a Colombian lunch and a Malaysian dinner.
4.- I can practice my Spanish without going to Spain.
5.- Mexico is only a couple of hours away.
6.- I get nine months of good and three months of fairly-good weather.
7.- I am 40 minutes away from a flight to whatever part in the world.
8.- A budget of $50 for a night out is big money.
9.- Marco, Marco, Alessandro, Saverio live here.
10.- You can always count on people saying "I'll come visit you", eventually won't.

Few Funny Things About Houston

- There isn't such a thing like a Houstonian.
- You can always find someone proudly claiming they have never been Norther than I-10.
- You have got to get used to: "You live in Houston? ... Houston, we got a problem!"
- People who come they don't want to stay, when it's time to leave they don't want to leave.
- There are good chances police will pull you over if they see you walking.
- After driving one hour in whatever direction from the middle of nowhere, you may still find yourself in the middle of nowhere.
- You can die by many things but you will never die of starvation.
- Flash-lighting in driving is considered a personal offense.
- You can reach every place in town with a a couple of left and right turns.
- 'Texas-size' at restaurants means a lot of food is going to be wasted soon.
- You can drive a thing that looks like a tank without being at war.
- "I don't need a passport, I never cross the border of Texas and Louisiana" (oh yes, real conversation).
- "I don't like golfing. Too much walking" (yes, yes, real conversation).
- "I don't travel to Europe, I am afraid of being shot" (I mean, you're afraid of being shot ... in Europe???).
- "Are you from Europe? I thought you were from Italy!" (here you go!).
- "I like the BMW 7 Series, a pretty small car" ("small" car???)
- Would anybody explain me what's beautiful about Galveston?

How to Spot a REAL Italian in Houston

- DaMarco and Arcodoro are good, Dolce Vita is ok, all other Italian restaurants stink!
- Never pick the "add chicken or shrimps" option ordering pasta.
- Wear shoes you can't find in any place in Houston. Of course, they're bought in Italy!
- You can always count on proposition of an Italian dinner after one week we have had it every single night.
- At gatherings with Italians and other people always end up speaking Italian regardless of other people.
- Wear (expensive) sunglasses even when it's dark.
- Have breakfast on weekend days at the French Bakery in Rice Village.
- "I don't speak but can understand Spanish" ... "Could you please re-say it in English?"
- Are the ones wearing long pants and high heels when everybody is wearing shorts and flip-flops.
- At a party or a club, take the whole night to finish just one drink (that's why in Italy bars have cover charge).
- At the restaurant to the waiter when ordering pasta: "When you think it's time to get it off the stove, three minutes before".
- Driving, are the first to take the way at intersections even if they are the last to arrive.
- Have seen dozens of football games in TV but can't say the difference between a linebacker and a running-back.
- Always have some friends sick who need assistance when we are invited to the baseball game.
- Drive an European car with a 2-liter engine. After all it takes only 2.8 liters to make a Porsche.
- At Katy Mills buy tons of "Polo Ralph Lauren" merchandise to bring home to their friends and relatives.
- Have been a dozen of time to Galveston and still wander what's beautiful about that place.

• In a nutshell:A Multicultural, International and Hospitable City
  • Intro Updated Dec 28, 2009

Comments

gdilieto Used To Live Here!

gdilieto

“My heart is not weary, it's light and it's free”

Badges & Stats in Houston

Have you been to Houston?

Friends