"Notes about Houston, a place I have called home" Houston by gdilieto
Houston Travel Guide: 1,236 reviews and 2,093 photos
2009-12-28: I have lived in Houston for few years at two different times in the 2000s and, now that I am gone, I still enjoy calling Houston home. My affection is due to a combination of factors, mainly to the people that I met but also to the city itself. Houston is a multicultural, international city that welcomes foreigners basically because everyone here is a foreigner. Second, Houston is close to Mexico and not too far from Latin America. There are times when, as a foreigner, you need some fresh air and what better than the most charming country and the most intriguing continent in the world? I keep great memory of my time in Houston, I regularly travel back for work and in my mind sooner or later I will be back.
DISCLAIMER: This page is written by a born-and-raised Italian thrown by accident into the deep heart of Texas ... Consider the deformed perspective in reading my comments.
1.- My next door neighbors are from Brazil, Australia, Spain and Nigeria.
2.- People don't find you weird if you speak with an accent.
3.- I can have an American breakfast, a Colombian lunch and a Malaysian dinner.
4.- I can practice my Spanish without going to Spain.
5.- Mexico is only a couple of hours away.
6.- I get nine months of good and three months of fairly-good weather.
7.- I am 40 minutes away from a flight to whatever part in the world.
8.- A budget of $50 for a night out is big money.
9.- Marco, Marco, Alessandro, Saverio live here.
10.- You can always count on people saying "I'll come visit you", eventually won't.
- There isn't such a thing like a Houstonian.
- You can always find someone proudly claiming they have never been Norther than I-10.
- You have got to get used to: "You live in Houston? ... Houston, we got a problem!"
- People who come they don't want to stay, when it's time to leave they don't want to leave.
- There are good chances police will pull you over if they see you walking.
- After driving one hour in whatever direction from the middle of nowhere, you may still find yourself in the middle of nowhere.
- You can die by many things but you will never die of starvation.
- Flash-lighting in driving is considered a personal offense.
- You can reach every place in town with a a couple of left and right turns.
- 'Texas-size' at restaurants means a lot of food is going to be wasted soon.
- You can drive a thing that looks like a tank without being at war.
- "I don't need a passport, I never cross the border of Texas and Louisiana" (oh yes, real conversation).
- "I don't like golfing. Too much walking" (yes, yes, real conversation).
- "I don't travel to Europe, I am afraid of being shot" (I mean, you're afraid of being shot ... in Europe???).
- "Are you from Europe? I thought you were from Italy!" (here you go!).
- "I like the BMW 7 Series, a pretty small car" ("small" car???)
- Would anybody explain me what's beautiful about Galveston?
How to Spot a REAL Italian in Houston
- DaMarco and Arcodoro are good, Dolce Vita is ok, all other Italian restaurants stink!
- Never pick the "add chicken or shrimps" option ordering pasta.
- Wear shoes you can't find in any place in Houston. Of course, they're bought in Italy!
- You can always count on proposition of an Italian dinner after one week we have had it every single night.
- At gatherings with Italians and other people always end up speaking Italian regardless of other people.
- Wear (expensive) sunglasses even when it's dark.
- Have breakfast on weekend days at the French Bakery in Rice Village.
- "I don't speak but can understand Spanish" ... "Could you please re-say it in English?"
- Are the ones wearing long pants and high heels when everybody is wearing shorts and flip-flops.
- At a party or a club, take the whole night to finish just one drink (that's why in Italy bars have cover charge).
- At the restaurant to the waiter when ordering pasta: "When you think it's time to get it off the stove, three minutes before".
- Driving, are the first to take the way at intersections even if they are the last to arrive.
- Have seen dozens of football games in TV but can't say the difference between a linebacker and a running-back.
- Always have some friends sick who need assistance when we are invited to the baseball game.
- Drive an European car with a 2-liter engine. After all it takes only 2.8 liters to make a Porsche.
- At Katy Mills buy tons of "Polo Ralph Lauren" merchandise to bring home to their friends and relatives.
- Have been a dozen of time to Galveston and still wander what's beautiful about that place.
- In a nutshell:A Multicultural, International and Hospitable City
gdilieto's Related Pages
Houston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "H-Town, Texas! My Hometown!"
- "Houston, Texas; Beyond Oil, Heat and Space"
- "Home, Home on the Range"
- "Hidden Huston"
- "Houston: Home to the Rodeo and Oil Business"
- "Houston, Texas"
- "4th Largest City in the USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Houston
- Hotels in Houston
- Transportation in Houston
- Nightlife in Houston
- Restaurants in Houston
- Shopping in Houston
- Warnings and Dangers in Houston
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Houston
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Houston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Houston
Top 10 Pages
- Granada Intro, 23 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Panamá City Intro, 16 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 18 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creel Intro, 17 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 13 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guanajuato Intro, 14 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lago de Atitlán Intro, 11 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tlacotalpan Intro, 9 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponce Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.
Latest Houston hotel reviews
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Houston-Stafford
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Hotel ZaZa - Houston
- 710 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hilton Houston - NASA / Clear Lake
- 269 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Londale Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2010
- Best Western Plaza Hotel & Suites at Medical Center Houston
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Downtown Convention Center
- 114 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Hyatt Regency Houston
- 448 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Candlewood Suites Houston Medical Center
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- La Colombe D Or Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Best Western - Greenway Plaza
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- American Inn And Suites
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Regency Inn & Suites Hobby Airport
- 240 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Astro Inn Houston
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 19, 2012
- Candlewood Suites - Houston Westchase
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Rodeway Inn Houston
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013