"Travel Notes from Ataco" Concepción de Ataco by gdilieto

Concepción de Ataco Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 62 photos

A Hidden Gem

Thanks for visiting my Ataco page! Don't forget to leave your footprint!

Go to My El Salvador Home Page

Go to My Home Page

At time of writing there is in the VT community no member living in and only one page about (Concepcion de) Ataco. At time of my visit - May 2007 - there were in Ataco neither multi-star hotels, nor trendy restaurants, nor clubs, nor other establishments for tourists other than few coffee and souvenir shops. The day I was there, I spot no foreign tourists other than me.

You end up in Ataco almost by chance. Coming from San Salvador it's the last of the five villages of the so called Ruta de las Flores (Flowers Route) - a scenic hill drive that the locals have been developing as tourist destination - and, after visiting few of the villages on the way, you may have already turned on your way back by the time it is time to leave to Ataco.

Ataco is a little gem, a picturesque colonial village where the in-progress gentrification has not (yet) wiped away the flavor of a local place living at his own pace. You don't need a tourist guide to plan your visit since there are no sights or attractions worth describing. A central square with a church, a grid of streets with colorful single-storey houses, hills all around and a cool climate. I arrived in Ataco in a rainy afternoon with nobody around. Then the rain stop and people started pouring from all over the place into the streets with the village turning on life with street and food vendors, children and people everywhere.

Ataco is a place to relax, enjoy local life and let time go by. I suspect though that it won't last much and the gem will soon be unveiled.

I am attaching a selection from my Ataco Photo Gallery for a better insight. Click here instead to go to My El Salvador Page. Thank you for visiting my pages.

• In a nutshell:A Hidden Gem
  • Last visit to Concepción de Ataco: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 2, 2008

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2009 at 10:05 AM

it's a colorful place. I need to add this place into my list :) all the best.Bora

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2009 at 9:43 AM

I hope to visit Ataco when I go to El Salvador. Nice tips!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Nice photo gallery of the local street and people. Cheers from Penang, SL :)

gdilieto

“My heart is not weary, it's light and it's free”

Badges & Stats in Concepción de Ataco

Have you been to Concepción de Ataco?

Latest Activity in Concepción de Ataco