"Travel Notes from Los Cóbanos" Los Cóbanos by gdilieto

Los Cóbanos Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 14 photos

The Great Escape

Thanks for visiting my Los Cóbanos page! Don't forget to leave your footprint!

Go to My El Salvador Home Page

Go to My Home Page

I thought of spending one day at the beach in my second trip to El Salvador and Los Cóbanos was the most convenient choice on my path. Coming from the Ruta de las Flores, I took a bus in Sonsonate and got to this fisherman village. As a matter of fact I was planning to spend the night here and leave the next day to my next destination but I reverted on my intent as soon as I got off the bus, realizing the fishermen village was just a dusty yard with few rundown cabins with nothing else around. Someone who met me at the bus drop-off then offered me a room that looked more likely a prison cell, I spent few dollars to rent the place just to store my luggage and then threw myself on the beach for the day.

I enjoyed the day at the beach and left the very same afternoon to Sonsonate and San Salvador. On my way out the prison I couldn't find the warder to return the cell's key; I left the door opened and got going on my way.

An Emerging Surfing Destination

El Salvador is the only Central American country that does not touch the Caribbean. Its more than 300 Km of coastline face all the Pacific Ocean and they are riddled with quality surf breaks making it a terrific surfing destination. Because of El Salvador’s lingering bad notoriety and its lack of a solid tourism infrastructure, tourism is still slow compared to other Central American surfing destinations and the crowd is still mainly composed of locals and backpackers. Some places can see light crowds on weekends and holidays, but most breaks are typically very uncrowded. However El Salvador is making its way up to the top of Central America’s surfing destinations and places like Punta Roca, El Sunzal, Punta Mango are earning notoriety in the international surfers community.

The Secret of Success

Pescado a la plancia or frito, cockteles, sopas de mariscos, there is plenty of choices for a seafood meal in El Salvador with seafood coming directly from the Pacific shores. A local delicacy to eat at a traditional Salvadorean restaurant is the Mariscada, a Latin-style, creamy soup made with crab, shrimp, lobster, clams, fish and more. Every restaurant will claim their mariscada is the best thank to some "secret ingredient" that, of course, will not disclose.

• In a nutshell:Decent, popular beach destination on the Ocean ... Best for a day-trip
  • Last visit to Los Cóbanos: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 19, 2009

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Thank you Giuseppe! The beach looks quite nice, but I will check out other places too.

gdilieto

“My heart is not weary, it's light and it's free”

Badges & Stats in Los Cóbanos

Have you been to Los Cóbanos?

Latest Activity in Los Cóbanos