"Travel Notes from Los Cóbanos" Los Cóbanos by gdilieto
Los Cóbanos Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 14 photos
I thought of spending one day at the beach in my second trip to El Salvador and Los Cóbanos was the most convenient choice on my path. Coming from the Ruta de las Flores, I took a bus in Sonsonate and got to this fisherman village. As a matter of fact I was planning to spend the night here and leave the next day to my next destination but I reverted on my intent as soon as I got off the bus, realizing the fishermen village was just a dusty yard with few rundown cabins with nothing else around. Someone who met me at the bus drop-off then offered me a room that looked more likely a prison cell, I spent few dollars to rent the place just to store my luggage and then threw myself on the beach for the day.
I enjoyed the day at the beach and left the very same afternoon to Sonsonate and San Salvador. On my way out the prison I couldn't find the warder to return the cell's key; I left the door opened and got going on my way.
El Salvador is the only Central American country that does not touch the Caribbean. Its more than 300 Km of coastline face all the Pacific Ocean and they are riddled with quality surf breaks making it a terrific surfing destination. Because of El Salvador’s lingering bad notoriety and its lack of a solid tourism infrastructure, tourism is still slow compared to other Central American surfing destinations and the crowd is still mainly composed of locals and backpackers. Some places can see light crowds on weekends and holidays, but most breaks are typically very uncrowded. However El Salvador is making its way up to the top of Central America’s surfing destinations and places like Punta Roca, El Sunzal, Punta Mango are earning notoriety in the international surfers community.
Pescado a la plancia or frito, cockteles, sopas de mariscos, there is plenty of choices for a seafood meal in El Salvador with seafood coming directly from the Pacific shores. A local delicacy to eat at a traditional Salvadorean restaurant is the Mariscada, a Latin-style, creamy soup made with crab, shrimp, lobster, clams, fish and more. Every restaurant will claim their mariscada is the best thank to some "secret ingredient" that, of course, will not disclose.
- In a nutshell:Decent, popular beach destination on the Ocean ... Best for a day-trip
I haven't been to this hotel and perhaps I shouldn't write a tip about it, but I'll do it for sake of those ones... more travel advice
The beach at Los Cóbanos is easily reached from Sonsonate by a ~45-minute bus ride. At the bus station in Sonsonate... more travel advice
gdilieto's Related Pages
Los Cóbanos Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Los Cóbanos
- Hotels in Los Cóbanos
- Transportation in Los Cóbanos
- Warnings and Dangers in Los Cóbanos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Los Cóbanos
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Los Cóbanos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Los Cóbanos
Photos in Los CóbanosSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Granada Intro, 23 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Panamá City Intro, 16 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 18 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creel Intro, 17 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 13 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guanajuato Intro, 14 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lago de Atitlán Intro, 11 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tlacotalpan Intro, 9 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponce Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.