"Travel Notes from Santa Ana" Santa Ana by gdilieto
Santa Ana Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 145 photos
I stopped by in Santa Ana in my second trip to El Salvador to visit the second Salvadorean city per importance and - I had read - the only one retaining some attractive Spanish colonial architecture. The City was also referenced as a good base for exploring Western El Salvador so I decided to stop by. Santa Ana did not meet my expectations and did not excite me at all.
As a matter of fact there are few examples of colonial architecture in the Main Square - the Theater, the Cathedral, the City Hall - but I found that too little to make the visit to the City appealing, considering that besides those few sights there is nothing else worth visiting. I did not enjoy wandering the streets either: the city center was certainly bustling and lively during the day-hours but when the sun set, not too late in the afternoon, it got scarily deserted, leaving me with the uncomfortable feeling I would be better off in my hotel room than outside. In the end I used Santa Ana as the base for my excursion to Volcán Izalco and then left to Juayua and the Ruta de las Flores.
Cultural events, street parades and religious masses make up the Fiesta Julias in Santa Ana. The festivities last throughout July and pay homage to the city's patron saint, Santa Ana. The coronation of the Fiesta Queen is the high point of the month. The chosen beauty is carried around the streets as part of a colourful parade, with numerous local bands, mariachis and clowns joining in the fun.
Volcán Izalco is a national icon of El Salvador and the quintessence of a volcano. Its cone-shape is close to perfection and in my imagination no volcano looks like a volcano more than Volcán Izalco. Today Izalco experiences only fumarolic activity but it has erupted almost continuously from 1770 (when it formed) to 1958 earning from sailors the nickname of "Lighthouse of the Pacific". Volcán Izalco can be climbed with a four-hour guided tours starting from the Parque Nacional de los Volcanes. The National Park is reached with a one and a half bus drive from Santa Ana. You better be in good shape if you are planning to do the climb. I do not have good photos of Volcán Izalco (what I have in my Travelogue) but you can find some good ones at Ministry of Tourism of El Salvador website here.
- Pros:A good base for exploring the Parque Nacional de los Volcanes
- Cons:Not a tourist destination worth itself
- In a nutshell:Just an alternative to San Salvador as base for visiting Western El Salvador
Coatepeque Lake is considered one of the most beautiful crater lakes in Central America. On its shore there are hotels,... more travel advice
The Main Square, the center of the city life, is the main - perhaps the only - tourist site in Santa Ana. During the... more travel advice
gdilieto's Related Pages
Santa Ana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santa Ana and the vulcanoes"
- "Travel Notes from Santa Ana"
- "Santa Ana"
- "Study Spanish and Salsa Dancing in Santa Ana"
- "Santa Ana"
- "Santa Ana"
- "Main Square"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Ana
- Hotels in Santa Ana
- Transportation in Santa Ana
- Restaurants in Santa Ana
- Shopping in Santa Ana
- Warnings and Dangers in Santa Ana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santa Ana
- 5 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Santa Ana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Ana
Photos in Santa AnaSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Granada Intro, 23 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Panamá City Intro, 16 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 18 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creel Intro, 17 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 13 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guanajuato Intro, 14 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lago de Atitlán Intro, 11 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tlacotalpan Intro, 9 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponce Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.