"Travel Notes from Suchitoto" Suchitoto by gdilieto

Suchitoto Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 85 photos

Thanks for visiting my Suchitoto page! Don't forget to leave your footprint!

Go to My Home Page

Suchitoto is arguably one of the top tourist destinations in El Salvador. A colonial village with a brilliant past in the old days of the colonial trade and a troubled past in the recent years of the Civil War (1980-92, when because of bombing and battles most of its inhabitants were forced to abandon the city), working these days its way up to El Salvador's top cultural destination with art galleries, festivals and events.

The village itself, with a typical colonial architecture - a central square with the cathedral, brightly-painted single-storey houses and cobblestone street - is in my view pretty but, yet better gentrified and developed as tourist destination, not prettier than some other colonial villages in El Salvador such as Juayua or Ataco. The natural setting though, on the hills, overlooking Lake Suchitlan, is impressive and make Suchitoto a very enjoyable destination for lovers of nature and relax.

I have visited Suchitoto in a weekend-day in May: the village was lively and pleasant, with street vendors and people all around the main square and the market. The boat ride around Lake Suchitlan made my visit very special. I have read there are as many as 200 species of birds living in the lake area, though I must admit I could not differentiate one from another.

Suchitoto gave me chance for some of the best photos I took in El Salvador, some of them I am attaching in my Suchitoto Photo Gallery and Lake Suchitlan Photo Gallery.

The Colonial Church

The Santa Lucia Church, constructed in 1853, is one of Suchitoto main attractions because of its original colonial structure. Its most exceptional architectural characteristics include its façade with arches with molded keystones, and 6 columns in the jonic style. Suchitoto's Santa Lucia church is one of the best examples of colonial architecture in El Salvador.

Lake Suchitlan

Lake Suchitlan is El Salvador's widest body of water. It is situated only 3 kilometers from the city's center and can easily reached walking or by shuttle bus. The artificial lake was formed in 1973 after having the electricity dam, Cerrón Grande, built on the course of the Lempa River. The lake is home to many species of migratory and year-long resident birds.

• Pros:Beautiful natural setting
  • Cons:Some oversold as tourist destination
  • In a nutshell:Pretty colonial town with a beautiful natural setting
  • Last visit to Suchitoto: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2007

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Suchitoto looks like a nice place, but I don't think I will have time to visit while I'm in El Salvador.

gdilieto

“My heart is not weary, it's light and it's free”

Badges & Stats in Suchitoto

Have you been to Suchitoto?

Latest Activity in Suchitoto