"Storie di un Viaggiatore Dilettante" gdilieto's Profile

"There's a way to get there
And I'll figure it out somehow
But I'm already there in my mind
And that's good enough for now" - (Bob Dylan)

"Alla vita mi vendo tutto, dalla testa ai piedi" - (I. Fossati)

"If I hadn't traveled, I would've had nothing to tell" - (T. Terzani)

Hi there and thanks for stopping by my Homepage! In this page you will find some information about me, my travels and my activities on VT. My Travel Pages will give you some more insight about my travels to specific destinations. If you visit my pages, thank you so much and don't forget to leave your footprint! - Giuseppe

2011-11-27: E di nuovo cambio casa - I live in Singapore now, the forth country in ten years and my second time in Southeast Asia. Over the last couple of years I have somewhat reduced my activities on VT, I guess due to the combination of having less time to dedicate to my blog and a drop in the enthusiasm of the earlier days. My current area of focus is North and Southeast Asia. I am intrigued by Japan and Vietnam and I would like to explore more of Philippines and Indonesia. I continue suffering saudade of Latin America and I am getting a little nostalgic of old-fashioned Europe, my home continent, which I realize I haven't traveled enough. In general, keeping staying hungry, staying foolish as always!

2009-09-05: Things have changed - In May 2009 I have moved from Houston to Shanghai in a new job assignment. It is for me the third country in eight years and, like in all other cases, I have mixed feelings: sorry to leave the old place, excited to discover a new one. As a matter of fact this time has been harder than the other times, mostly because I leave behind very good friends or maybe I'm just getting old. Anyway I am in China now, a country I am still trying to figure out, in a new and exciting city. I miss already Latin America which has been at the forefront of my traveling over the last few years. As someone put it, "He who has walked the dirty roads of Latin America will never find peace in any other part of the world".

My Activities on Virtual Tourist

- Jan 2012: Batam Island, Indonesia
- Apr 10 2011: Hong Kong, China
- Mar 26 2011: Lamma Island, Hong Kong, China

My Most-visited Pages @ Sep 2012
Not that quantity means anything but, just for the record, those are currently my most-visited pages: Guanajuato (Mexico), Cartagena de Indias (Colombia), Panamá City (Panamá), San Juan (Puerto Rico), Juayúa (El Salvador), Granada (Nicaragua). Those are the heydays of my solo-traveling and the days in which I used to spend long of time in updating my blog, therefore those pages tend to be amongst the ones richest in insights and details.

My VT Pages: The Choice of the Author
My choice is not much about the pages in themselves but about the memory of places I visited. Particularly dear to me are my 2007-8 trips to Central America, Panamá City, El Salvador, Granada (Nicaragua), Lake Atitlán (Guatemala), Barranca del Cobre (Mexico) and those are some of the pages I love the most. Buenos Aires is my favorite city in the world and I wrote a page even though at time of writing I did no recall enough details to make it insightful.

About Me

"Viaggiatore Dilettante" (Rookie Traveler), casual, randomic traveler, passionate about every places and cultures I visit and curious about all the ones I haven't explored yet. Italian, raised between Calabria, Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast, I have lived in USA (Houston), Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur), China (Shanghai) and Singapore, where I currently live. I have two passions: traveling and photography. My favorite traveling is on historical and cultural itineraries. I am a casual photographer, with no education, poor equipment but plenty of creativity. I take photos to tell stories, and stories is what you'll find in my pages. Thank you so much for your interest in my travels ... If you visit my pages don't forget to leave your footprint!

My Thoughts About Virtual Tourist

I enjoy VT because it makes me continuing traveling for long time upon return from my travels. Back home I start pulling together my thoughts, observations, experiences, doing researches, with the result that, in writing my pages, I end up knowing more and better about the places I have traveled to. It is a long process that sometimes takes weeks. Only when I have finished writing my pages I am ready for a new trip.

Nowadays there are countless websites with any kind of information on attractions, activities, prices, rates, addresses and contact information. When I need any such information I find there what I need. I browse VT in search of ideas and insights that may make me getting interested, or not interested, in a destination. Some of my best travels have started on VT, some others have ended here before they even started.

I am not much into the "ranking" thing but I do enjoy a nice comment or a word of appreciation. I usually rate a good tip and leave a comment for a job well done. If you like any of my pages, feel free to leave your mark.

• Intro Updated Jul 14, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
gdilieto's Profile Photo

gdilieto

“My heart is not weary, it's light and it's free”

Real Name