"Olympia from the Classical period" Top 5 Page for this destination Olympia by mallyak
Olympia Travel Guide: 176 reviews and 586 photos
Olympia (Greek: Ολυμπία Olympí'a or Ολύμπια Olýmpia, older transliterations, Olimpia, Olimbia), a sanctuary of ancient Greece in Elis, is known for having been the site of the Olympic Games in classical times, comparable in importance to the Pythian Games held in Delphi. Both games were held every Olympiad (i.e. every four years), the Olympic Games dating back possibly further than 776 BC.
The sanctuary, known as the Altis, consists of an unordered arrangement of various buildings. Enclosed within the temenos (sacred enclosure) are the Temple of Hera (or Heraion/Heraeum) and Temple of Zeus, the Pelopion and the area of the altar, where the sacrifices were made. The hippodrome and later stadium were also to the east
To the north of the sanctuary can be found the Prytaneion and the Philippeion, as well as the array of treasuries representing the various city states. The Metroon lies to the south of these treasuries, with the Echo Stoa to the East. To the south of the sanctuary is the South Stoa and the Bouleuterion, whereas the West side houses the Palaestra, the workshop of Pheidias, the Gymnasion and the Leonidaion.
Olympia is one of the most popular destinations for tourists in Greece. Even cruise ships dock at the nearby port of Katakolo and put people on buses to visit the site. The village of Olympia itself is a collection of tourist shops, cafes, restaurants and a Historical Museum of the Olympic Games
The stadium of Olympia was built in the 4th c BCE to the East of the sanctuary. It is 212.54 meters (600 Olympic feet)... more travel advice
mallyak's Related Pages
Olympia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Olympia Arhea and Modern"
- "birthplace of Olympic Games"
- "Where Olympism was born, 2800 years ago"
- "Much ado about (almost) nothing!"
- "Olympia from the Classical period"
- "The Birthplace of the Olympics"
- "Paul's Olympian Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Olympia
- Hotels in Olympia
- Transportation in Olympia
- Nightlife in Olympia
- Restaurants in Olympia
- Shopping in Olympia
- Warnings and Dangers in Olympia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Olympia
- 7 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Olympia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olympia
Photos in OlympiaSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 31 reviews, 107 photos
- Sydney Intro, 21 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Moscow Intro, 24 reviews, 91 photos
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 23 reviews, 70 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 22 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos
- Berlin Intro, 21 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 20 reviews, 65 photos