"For the Culture Vultures and Chocolate addicts" Vienna by mallyak
Vienna Travel Guide: 7,421 reviews and 18,494 photos
Vienna is located at the heart of Europe. Although the Habsburg Empire is long gone, this city on the Danube has not lost its imperial grandeur. Wide boulevards are lined with Baroque palaces. Come for high culture and indulgent chocolate cakes.
Anyone who takes an interest in art, especially of a decorative nature, will fall in love with Vienna. Its numerous imperial residences and pre-war townhouses are relics from a northern european post-Renaissance design binge that incorporated styles ranging from roccocco to jugend stil, and everything in between. Still fashion-conscious, today Vienna boasts a youth culture that is tasteful to the max and surprisingly welcoming. While you may find yourself a bit chilled by the older generation, come to Vienna with an eye out for new bars and clubs and you're sure to be inducted into some extremely civilized, extremely innovative nightlife.
Vienna’s main sites are located at the center of the city, within walking distance of each other. But no one should be fooled into thinking these can all be seen in one day; Vienna has a nearly inconceivably large collection of art and imperial relics. Vienna's museums are well-stocked with treasures thanks to the dedicated patronage of the Hapsburgs in years past and the many art schools in the area.
One of the great capital cities of Europe, Vienna has been home to the rulers of the Austria-Hungarian Empire and masters of classical music. History, art and beauty oozes from every street corner and alley way. So discover St. Stephen's Cathedral, enjoy the Vienna Woods, or a just stroll through the narrow lanes of this unforgettable city.
Created by a 16-year-old apprentice, the recipe for the Sacher Torte has been around for 175 years -- and is still... more travel advice
Enjoy also the daily sightseeing tours offered by Vienna Sightseeing Tours, Red Bus City Tours or Cityrama. A varied... more travel advice
mallyak's Related Pages
Vienna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
- "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- "Rainy day in Vienna 2006, sunny in 2013"
- "VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"
- "Vienna and its never-ending history"
- "Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte"
- "Still a city of dreams"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vienna
- Hotels in Vienna
- Transportation in Vienna
- Nightlife in Vienna
- Restaurants in Vienna
- Shopping in Vienna
- Warnings and Dangers in Vienna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vienna
- 14 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienna
Photos in ViennaSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 31 reviews, 107 photos
- Sydney Intro, 21 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Moscow Intro, 24 reviews, 91 photos
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 23 reviews, 70 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 22 reviews, 71 photos
- Berlin Intro, 21 reviews, 70 photos
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 20 reviews, 65 photos