"Bangalore-Silicon Valley of India ??" Bangalore by mallyak
Bangalore Travel Guide: 622 reviews and 969 photos
Bangalore, officially known as Bengaluru, is one of the most hip and happening cities in India and also a major center of the I.T. industry.
Bangalore Urban and Bangalore Rural districts together form the entire Bangalore.
The earliest records of a place named 'Bengaluru' were found in a 9th century temple in an area that is now known as 'Old Bangalore'. Once the feudal lord Kempe Gowda was hunting in this area, a rabbit turned and attacked his dog. This made a great impression on the lord and he gave the place a title of gandu bhoomi (the place of heroes) and in 1537, with the assistance of the local king, he constructed three districts protected by a walled fort on the site.
During the next three centuries, Bangalore existed very much in the shadow of its neighboring city Mysore, and control of the town changed hands many times. The year 1831 marked a major turning point for the city. Claiming misrule by the king Krishna Raja Wodeyar III, the British took control of the Mysore Kingdom and, possibly influenced by the city's mild climate, moved the administrative capital to Bangalore. New telecommunication systems were laid, rail connections built, fine government buildings constructed and the city's famous parks and gardens established. After independence, Bangalore maintained its position as the Karnataka state capital, and continues to flourish.
For many years, Bangalore was known throughout India as the most green, liberal and forward-thinking city. In recent years, these attributes have propelled Bangalore to the forefront of the high-tech industry boom in India, and it currently ranks as India's most developed city and one of the world's fastest growing urban areas.
The name Bangalore appears to come from an Anglicization of the native name "Bengaluru" - an adaptation of the earlier name in Kannada: Benda Kaale Uru (The Town of Boiled Beans). Apparently this rather humble name was bequeathed to the city by king Vira Ballala. Once while lost in the area, he was offered boiled beans by an old woman, and it was out of gratitude that he named the area after this simple offering.
Pensioners' Paradise: Pensioners' Paradise reminds Bangaloreans of the time when it was a sleepy old city with very little to zero pollution, no competition for its resources, low crime rate, wide roads lined with shady trees and pleasant weather all ideal for a quiet retirement.Now a lot changed though
Pub City: With its many pubs and bars, and also with the city being the headquarters of United Breweries, makers of the popular Kingfisher Beer, Bangalore is a drinker's dream.
Garden City: Garden City was once the nickname Bangalore proudly claimed before rising population and pollution reduced the amount of green space.
Silicon Valley of India: Bangalore is often said to be the center of the Indian I.T. outsourcing movement, and has offices of many foreign tech companies as well as a number of native Indian tech startups. The neighboring cities of Chennai and Hyderabad also vie for this title.
- Pros:Fine weather-Great food
- Cons:Pollution and Noise!
Anyone who sees the Bangalore Palace is bound to fall in love with it. Once youget over the initial shock of finding... more travel advice
South Indian vegetarian-whole some with selection of rice, Puri-Roti, 3 vegetables, yoghurt, pickle, papaddum and sweet... more travel advice
mallyak's Related Pages
Bangalore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangalore my home"
- "Bangalore- gateway to Karnataka's treasures"
- "The Garden City"
- "The Gateway to India"
- "Bangalore- The Garden City"
- "From chirps to chips"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangalore
- Hotels in Bangalore
- Transportation in Bangalore
- Nightlife in Bangalore
- Restaurants in Bangalore
- Shopping in Bangalore
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangalore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangalore
- 8 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Bangalore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangalore
- Commented on one of cuppadamoksha's Bangalore travel pages
- Posted in Travel India Forum "Re: Is it possible to get a visa..."
- Wrote a Review Bangalore Palace about Palace in Bangalore Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bangalore Palace"
- updated a Bangalore Travel Page "Bangalore-Silicon Valley of India ??"
Photos in BangaloreSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 31 reviews, 107 photos
- Sydney Intro, 21 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Moscow Intro, 24 reviews, 91 photos
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 23 reviews, 70 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 22 reviews, 71 photos
- Berlin Intro, 21 reviews, 70 photos
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 20 reviews, 65 photos