"Bikaner-Royalty in full splendour" Bikaner by mallyak
Bikaner Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 429 photos
If ever beauty has bloomed in a desert, it has been at Bikaner. Founded in 1488 AD by Rao Bika Ji, it's located in north west part of Rajasthan state in INDIA. The imposing palaces, beautiful and richly sculptured temples of red and yellow sand stones display some of the finest creations of Rajput civilization. It's lust for "dessert" or affection for "desert" that tickles every heart to visit Bikaner.
This fort was built by Raja Rai Singhji, the sixth ruler of Bikaner, who ruled form 1571 to 1612 AD. Raja Rai Singhji could Marshal the revenues of a Kingdom increased by the conquest of half Marwar and grant of half Gujrat and made use of ample funds from Jodhpur and Western Deccan for the construction of this fort. A contemporary of Mughal Emperor Akbar and Emperor Jehangir, he held a very high rank in the Imperial court. As a reward for this services as military commander, he was granted fields of Gujrat and Burhanpur by the Emperor. During his tenure in imperial service he traveled far and wide which gave him vision and great ideas about art and architecture and we can see how meticulously these ideas were incorporated in the architectural styles of his building in Junagarh fort.
Acquaint yourself with the indispensable ship of the desert at this camel research and breeding centre, the only one of its kind in Asia."
This government-managed farm is unique and largest in Asia. There are hundreds of camels here and the scenario in late afternoon is great when camels come back from grazing. It's here that you can see what an interesting animal the camel is. You can have some thick camel milk while listening to a Raika or Rebari, a camel breeder's tribe telling you about camels and camellore and how they are bred. The gamboling baby-camels make a very enchanting sight.The British army had camel corps drawn from Bikaner during WorldWar I.
Situated en route to Jodhpur , the temple is dedicated to Karni Mata -an incarnation of Durga. The temple has... more travel advice
The architectural masterpiece in red sandstone was built by Maharaja Ganga Sing (1881 AD-1942 AD) in memory of his... more travel advice
mallyak's Related Pages
Bikaner Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bikaner- Desert Caravanserai"
- "Camel Country of Bikaner"
- "Radjasthan - Bikaner - the western part of India"
- "Bikaner - a Palace and a rat temple!"
- "Bikaner-Royalty in full splendour"
- "Bikaner, Rajasthan."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bikaner
- Hotels in Bikaner
- Transportation in Bikaner
- Restaurants in Bikaner
- Shopping in Bikaner
- Warnings and Dangers in Bikaner
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bikaner
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Bikaner?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bikaner
Photos in BikanerSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 31 reviews, 107 photos
- Sydney Intro, 21 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Moscow Intro, 24 reviews, 91 photos
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 23 reviews, 70 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 22 reviews, 71 photos
- Berlin Intro, 21 reviews, 70 photos
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 20 reviews, 65 photos