"On the Rocks-At Hampi!" Top 5 Page for this destination Hampi by mallyak
Hampi Travel Guide: 297 reviews and 1,194 photos
Strewn over a large area (about nine square miles) the ruins at Hampi offers a remainder of the greatest land in the whole world. Every rock, every path and every monument at Hampi speak the same language; a language of glory and beauty.
Although in ruins today, this capital city once boasted riches known far beyond the shores of India. The ruins of Hampi of the 14th Century lies scattered in about 26 sq. km area, amidst giant boulders and vegetation. Protected by theriver Tungabhadra in the north and rocky granite ridges on the other three sides, the ruins silently narrate the story of grandeur splendor and fabulous wealth. The splendid remains of palaces and gateways of the broken city tells a tale of men infinite talent and power of creativity together with his capacity for senseless destruction.
In Hampi at every turn there is a surprise. Every monument hides more than what they reveal. As an open museum, Hampi has numerous popular (100 plus!) locations . Dotted around the hills and valleys are 500 plus monuments. Among them are beautiful temples, basement of palaces, remains of aquatic structures, ancient market streets, royal pavilions, bastions, royal platforms, treasury buildings.., the list is practically endless. Hampi is a backpackers’ paradise, and a pilgrims’ delight.
- Pros:Be taken to the 14th century and forget your worries
mallyak's Related Pages
Hampi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hampi - natural beauty and ruins"
- "HAMPI IN KARNATAKA"
- "On the Rocks-At Hampi!"
- "The Marvellous Ruins of Hampi"
- "Past Preserved"
- "Vijayanagar - The Forgotten Empire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hampi
- Hotels in Hampi
- Transportation in Hampi
- Nightlife in Hampi
- Restaurants in Hampi
- Shopping in Hampi
- Warnings and Dangers in Hampi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hampi
- 14 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Hampi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hampi
Photos in HampiSee All Photos (69)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 31 reviews, 107 photos
- Sydney Intro, 21 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Moscow Intro, 24 reviews, 91 photos
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 23 reviews, 70 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 22 reviews, 71 photos
- Berlin Intro, 21 reviews, 70 photos
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 20 reviews, 65 photos