"Sravanbelagola is 51 km southeast of Hassan" Hassan by mallyak
Hassan Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 38 photos
Sravanbelagola is 51 km southeast of Hassan and 160 km from Bangalore. This is the most important Jain pilgrimage center. The name of the place translated as naked ascetic (Sravana) and white pond (belgola), is known for the greatest monument of Jain art. The colossal statue of Gomateshwara (17 meter high) situated on the summit of Indragiri hill is one of the two giant sculptures in the world after the colossus of Ramses II in Egypt. Chamundaraya, General under the King Rachmalla, had commissioned the carving of this huge statue during the 10th century.
It is a little township tucked away between Indragiri and Chandragiri hills. Its antiquity dates back to 3rd century B. C. when the great Mauryan Emperor Chandragupta Maurya handed over his empire to his son Bimbisara and sought the serenity of Sravanabelagola.
Chamundaraya, the general, and the minister of Ganga, King Rachamatta, created the symmetry in stone around 983 AD. This giant statue was carved out of a single block of stone. It is regarded as one of the largest monolithic statues in the world. Lord Bahubali or Gomateshwar; the gigantic monolith statue is situated at the famous Manjunath Temple in Dharmasthala.
The statue symbolises renunciation, self-control, and subjugation of ego as the primary steps towards salvation. The naked Digambara form of Bahubali represents complete victory over earthly desires.
mallyak's Related Pages
Hassan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A prominent Jain pelgrim centre"
- "Sravanbelagola is 51 km southeast of Hassan"
- "Hassan & Shravanabelagola"
- "In Hassan's Backyard"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hassan
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Hassan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hassan
Photos in HassanSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 31 reviews, 107 photos
- Sydney Intro, 21 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Moscow Intro, 24 reviews, 91 photos
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 23 reviews, 70 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 22 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos
- Berlin Intro, 21 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 20 reviews, 65 photos