"Spectacular outpost" Jaisalmer by mallyak
Jaisalmer Travel Guide: 421 reviews and 1,525 photos
Jaisalmer, nicknamed "The Golden City", is a town in the Indian state of Rajasthan. The town stands on a ridge of yellowish sandstone, crowned by a fort, which contains the palace and several ornate Jain temples. Many of the houses and temples are finely sculptured. It lies in the heart of the Thar Desert
Its like straight out of an Arabian Nights fable. The name Jaisalmer induces a dramatic picture of utter magic and brilliance of the desert. The hostile terrain not with standing the warmth and colour of people is simply over whelming. One of the main draws is the daunting 12th century Jaisalmer Fort. The beautiful havelis which were built by wealthy merchants of Jaisalmer are yet another interesting aspect of the desert city. And you can let your eyes caress the sloppy sand dunes while you ramble your way in a camel safari. The desert citadel is truly a golden fantasy in Thar Desert. Bhatti Rajput ruler Rawal Jaisal, after whom the city finds its name, founded Jaisalmer in 1156. On advice of a local hermit Eesaal he chose the Tricut Hills as his new abode abandoning his vulnerable old fort at Luderwa just 16 kilometres northwest. In Medieval times, its prosperity was due to its location on the main trade route linking India to Egypt, Arabia, Persia, Africa and the West. The Bhatti Rajput rulers lined their coffer with gains from traditional taxes on passing by caravans and sometimes through illicit gains by rustling cattle.
This is one of the largest and most elaborate Haveli in Jaisalmer and stands in a narrow lane. It is five storeys high... more travel advice
mallyak's Related Pages
Jaisalmer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jaisalmer - Beautiful Oasis in the Sand"
- "Jaisalmer - The Golden City"
- "Golden City of Jaisalmer"
- "Golden Desert City of Jaisalmer"
- "A Giant Glittering Desert Sandcastle"
- "Fairy Tale - Jaisalmer"
- "Jaisalmer - the romantic Oasis in the Thar desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jaisalmer
- Hotels in Jaisalmer
- Transportation in Jaisalmer
- Nightlife in Jaisalmer
- Restaurants in Jaisalmer
- Shopping in Jaisalmer
- Warnings and Dangers in Jaisalmer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jaisalmer
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Jaisalmer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jaisalmer
Photos in JaisalmerSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 31 reviews, 107 photos
- Sydney Intro, 21 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Moscow Intro, 24 reviews, 91 photos
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 23 reviews, 70 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 22 reviews, 71 photos
- Berlin Intro, 21 reviews, 70 photos
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 20 reviews, 65 photos